BGK questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone own one? Was thinking of getting one for a 60 gallon planted community. Are they even community fish?

AaronW said:
Does anyone own one? Was thinking of getting one for a 60 gallon planted community. Are they even community fish?

I think an African Brown Knife would be a better choice.

They grow upwards of 18" so to long for a 60g they wouldn't be able to turn around properly. They need 125g to house for life IMO.

The African brown are cool fish as well. That would a been my recommendation for your tank as well.

Brown knife? I like the way they look! Thanks guys. But are the aggressive? Will he bother my eel or vise versa?

AaronW said:
Brown knife? I like the way they look! Thanks guys. But are the aggressive? Will he bother my eel or vise versa?

They are really similar fish except the Brown Knife is less aggressive and smaller so a much better choice for your tank. They should be fine together because I keep a BGK and a Fire Eel together with no problems. For a diet my BGK likes ripped up shrimp, brine shrimp, and his favorite food is blood worms(make sure it is frozen food, if it doesn't get to the bottom it won't be eaten). Some can also be pellet trained but I wouldn't count on it, usually when full grown.

Back
Top Bottom