Bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmifland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did a search and came up with information about this fish through this forum so I figured I could get some reasonable responses to my questions.

I am currently looking into purchasing a 40g Breeder Aquarium. I wanted to purchase an Endlicheri Bichir for my tank that was originally going to be a 120g Aquarium. I had to downsize but I was wondering if I would still be able to keep such a fish in my tank. I read that it gets 12-15 inches in captivity and it sounds like it would have enough room to roam but I wanted to get some answers from people with experience.

I was also wondering if an Endlicheri Bichir would be okay in a tank with live plants. I know that I will have to get different fish since he will eat anything smaller than himself but I can live with that.

Besides Neon Tetras could be used for treats :)

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find too much information on this fish.

Thanks.

i dont think it would work in a 40. and welcome to AA:)

Thanks! Do you know how large of a tank I would need to comfortably house this fish?

Do you know of any unique fish that would compliment a 40 gallon aquarium. I used to have snakes and that nay be why I enjoy the Bichir so much but I am open to anything unique. Was thinking of raising a large mouth bass at one point but turned away from that since they mostly just sit.

Do you know of any unique fish that would compliment a 40 gallon aquarium. I used to have snakes and that nay be why I enjoy the Bichir so much but I am open to anything unique. Was thinking of raising a large mouth bass at one point but turned away from that since they mostly just sit.
african butterfly fish are pretty cool

A suitable species of spiney eel would work in a 40 breeder, my favorite smaller one is the Tanganykian plagiostoma. I had a pair of those in a 29 for over a year, lost them when the power was out too long.
Ropefish might work, though at least a 55 or 75 is usually recommended for them.
I currently have a Macana zebra knifefish in a 40 breeder, seems to be doing quite well.

I read that ropefish get about 3-4 feet long.

So the Bichir that I was speaking of actually gets 12-15? If a rope works why could he?

I can't help with the bichir, but... if you are willing for another fish, try a red wolf fish (erythrinus erythrinus). I'm wanting to set up a 40gB for one. They are really interesting, but need to be dealt with carefully. They do have the potential to bite, but if you are a snake guy, then I'm sure one of these would be up to your liking. Look up videos of them eating, that's what won me over.

Oh, and they work well with plants. It's actually recommended to keep them in with plants. They are one of the types of wolf fish that is still legal, but can be a little tough to acquire.

Only problem is that my girlfriend is adding fish too so it can't be too aggressive. I was looking at peacock eels or maybe a gold dojo loach. I like the snake look since my Bichir won't work :(

I think a Senegal bichirs would work in your tank long as it's not to over stocked. Mine is about 7-8" and is in a 30 I am planning on moving him. But won't be till he's about 10"

Side note, if your girl is also stocking the tank, and you are set on a bichir it WILL eat anything that fits in it's mouth.

If you are looking for a bichir, you will want to get what they call an "upper jaw" species of bichir. They tend to be smaller than endilcheri (which belongs to the group we call "lower jaw"). A senegalus usually gets to be about 10 inches, a delhezi will grow to be about 14 (although they grow quickly to about 8-10 inches then growth slows tremendously). Do not look at an ornate bichir, they also get to be about 2 foot long. You may also wanna look for a 40 long for your aquarium if you want a bichir. They need an aquarium with a bigger footprint aka surface area. A ropefish will get about 14 inches, I don't think it is right for your aquarium either. If you're looking for an interesting predator, you can look for a toadfish? The grunting kind (Allanbrachus Grunniens I think) are very cool. They do require the water to be a brackish though.

Scratch the toadfish...haha I didn't see that you girlfriend wants to add fish. It will eat anything in the tank. And so will a bichir. A bichir only works in tanks that the other fish are too big to fit in it's mouth really. Haha. If you want that snake look and you want peaceful, I would say a weather (dojo) loach would be the way to go. They are quirky little fish.

Yeah girlfriend and I decided in the gold dojo loach :) I actually like it more because it doesn't get too big.

IMO the peacock eels are great. I love the pair I have, they are quirky little creatures an Fun to watch once they feel comfortable. We sit down every night and feed them little parts of earthworms. They love them! Here's a picture of them and their tank.

Back
Top Bottom