Bichirs First Victim....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well for those of you who have been reading my forums u should know i recently recieved a Blue Crayfish.
When I got home from play practice today, I checked up on the fish.
What do you know there lying on my fake driftwood was half of my poor lil crayfish 8O
It apears he had moulted and my bichir took advantage of that. I found his old exoskeleton laying next to him and some little bits of it around the tank :?
My poor lil crayfish. Just as i was about to put him in the 5 gal tonight :cry:

Well my bichir seems a lil slow he must have eaten at least half his bodyweight and looks like a fat sausage with fins. Tonight is the first night i have seen him refuse eating wonder why. It couldnt possible half of my crayfish lodge in his fat ugly stomach :evil:

Stupid carnivorous fish!
well, in any case the plan is to replace him. Do you think my LFS would give me store credit for him being eaten...hurmm probably not.

Well in any case. I scopped the little guys remains up put it in a baggy, and he now is resting peacefully in my garbage :sorry:

oy vea!

Most LFS return policy is unconditional and will take back any fish... Surely in the short amount of time you have had it they will take it back and replace.

Sorry to hear about your loss! How unfortunate. I would contact your lfs and see if they will replace. I wouldn suspect not but it certainly doesn't hurt to try. Our lfs don't have unconditional return policies. I wish they did, :lol:

It isn't at all surprising that your bichir nailed the crayfish.....after all, crustaceans are a normal part of a bichir's diet. From a Polypterid's point of view....there's nothing more appetizing than a nice, soft shrimp or crayfish to nibble on. Might I suggest that, if you get another crayfish, you don't put it in with your bichir :)

-Joe

Sorry to hear it, but I am not surprised...except that you put the cray in that tank...even temporarily. I have one cray that is in with bichirs....a 10" yabbie in with 12" senegals....and even he has to be on his toes (and completely 'caved-up' during sheds).

Back
Top Bottom