bichor and oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwenavir

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello! it's gwenavir again with questions about my fish and the fish in my future. i have moved out of the small place i was living in and will be moving into my own apartment so i will now have enough space for the tiger oscar's i wanted so badly!!! my question is this: if i put a structure of some sort for my bichor to hide out in, will it be okay to put him in a 45 gallon tank with two oscars? i'm going to buy them small because i want to share their entire life with them, and my bichor is only 3 1/2 inches long or so, so i dont think there will be an issue of him bothering them but i'm not the fish expert, so what do you all think?

A pair of oscars will need 90 gallons. I would think a bichir and the Os will get along ok as long as neither is much larger than each other.

thank you very much for your reply, so you dont think i coul start them off in a 45 gallon, how about just one of them with the bichor?

You could start them off but remember they grow very quickly. Within 8 months to a year you will need to be ready to upgrade the tank.

word, i can handle that no problem, i would love to have the biggest tank they sell for a house but i'm just not in a finantial possition to do that

My 6" Oscar and 6" Bichir have grown out of a 30 gal together, into a 90", among a few others. But they've been neck and neck, speaking strictly lengthwise. No problems as the O hangs mid-surface, Bichir strictly bottom, beside his daily tank cruise.

well that makes me very happy to here!!! or read..whatever. so then i'll just continue to follow everyones advise on this forum and watch my fishies closely

Back
Top Bottom