Big algae problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haaken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a lot of algae growing in my tank. There is white hair looking algae that grows on all the glass (it will even start to grow the day after scraping the glass), brownish thick algae that is growing all over my rocks, logs and plants, and this bright green gooey looking algae that is growing on the top of my sand in one spot.

I have two amazon sword plants and a bunch of rotala indica in my 55 gal. that is fed by 5 nutrient tabs under the sand, plus I just started using a carbon additive rather than purchasing a co2 system. I have 5 Inca stonefish cichlids, a blue face apistogramma and a hi-fin synodontis catfish. I use conditioned tap water for water-changes that I perform every 3 to 4 days of 5 gallons of water. I'm using an aqua-life 48" light that has two 54 watt t5 bulbs in it, one blue acintic and one 6500k. I have an Ehiem classic 2215 filter that has been in use for about 6 months, this tank has been set up for about 4 months. My ph is a little high at around 7.3 while my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all hovering around 0. Any more info can be provided

I can also provide pictures if that will help. Thanks for any responses this algae is getting out of control.

Try leaving the lights off for a day or two. Feed less (don't overfeed) and clean the tank as much as you can. Algae can survive off of excess nutrients from waste in the tank and substrate.

Would leaving the lights off stress the plants out?

Haaken said:

Yes it could not sure how many days it would take but they do need light to preform photo-something can't spell it. How about you clean the tank remove as much as possible. Then do a water. Hangs

new to the scene said:
Yes it could not sure how many days it would take but they do need light to preform photo-something can't spell it. How about you clean the tank remove as much as possible. Then do a water change to get it all out. You could even get some phosphate remover to get the excess nutrient out of the tank

Haaken said:

Leaving the lights off for a day wont hurt them. Leaving them off for longer might.

Back
Top Bottom