big day in fishlandia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fambrough

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was so pleased with how good my new 10 gallon glow-light tetra tank looks that by comparison the four red phantom tetras and single blue tetra seemed cramped in my 5 gallon. I got a second 10 gallon and successfully transferred them over with all tank material and filter material. Interestingly, the blue is mildly aggressive toward the red phantoms. I moved him back into the 5 and may get a couple more blues to keep him company. Viola! All of a sudden I have three tanks! Not my plan at all, but they look great. They all have live plants, minimal gravel, stones and driftwood.

Regarding driftwood. I achieved a really neat effect by drilling two holes in a piece of slate and using fishing line to have the driftwood float mid level. highly recommend. On another interesting note, on two of the tanks, the 5 and the new 10 with the red phantoms, I have used duct tape to dim the lighting. This is practically the reverse of so many enthusiasts who upgrade/intensify their lights for demanding plants. The fish are much more relaxed in this reduced light level.

Cheers,
Ben

fambrough said:
Regarding driftwood. I achieved a really neat effect by drilling two holes in a piece of slate and using fishing line to have the driftwood float mid level.

Sounds cool... Pics?

And forgive my ignorance, but won't the driftwood eventually get waterlogged and sink?

Sure will. If the driftwood sinks, then so be it. I wanted it on the bottom at first anyway. If by then I am enamoured with the suspended look, I'll rig some supports. I like projects. It will give me something do to...in the spare time that I do not have. :) No problem with the pics. I just have to make and take the time to do it. Don't count on it this week. I promise I'll post some when I get around to it. Why does watching my tank give me so much peace? It's almost like a meditation. The glow lights are particularly nice. What an underrated fish.

What the heck. I have a few minutes to kill now. Let's see if this works[/img]

Attachments

• red_phantom_tank.jpg
    red_phantom_tank.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 103
  • glow_light_tetra_tank.jpg
    glow_light_tetra_tank.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 104
Okay, looks like that worked just fine. There are some white streaks in the red phantom tank picture which are air bubbles moving through the water captured as a streak by the long exposure for the low light. And as usual, the pictures do not do justice. But thanks for looking.

Ben

They are spider plants. I plan to pull them out from time to time (perhaps for a day at a time) to trim the decaying leaves and give them some air, so to speak. I don't think they will do well in the long run, but for now the add a lot of character.

BTW, in the red phantom tank the flint is not supporting the driftwood. It is resting against one of the fishing line "tethers."

Ben

Back
Top Bottom