Big Move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would put the fish in Kordon breather bags. They can keep for many dayss in them. One consideration is that unless you have the tanks set up before you arrive, you won't have anywhere to put the fish when you arrive. The Kordon bags are filled with water with no air space. The CO2 dissipates from the water through the bags. You don't get the resulting pH drop you get in traditional bagging methods from CO2 buildup.
The only experience I have with them was a group of 7 Rotkeil severums ranging in size from 1" to 1 1/2" I bought at a convention. They were placed in a 6" x 8" bag on a Thursday, and I purchased them on the Sunday following, which made it close to 4 days. the fish were fine in that small amount of water. I was told they can actually keep for (6?)weeks.
The small amount of water needed will help by minimizing space requirements, and you have a buffer, time wise, when you arrive.
You should also consider unloading some fish that can be easily replaced prior to the move.

Kensfish.com sells shipping bags. I would take the tubing from my air pump and fill the bags with air and tie them with rubber bands!!!

Thanks for the responses everybody. At the moment, we are still comparing the costs of everything, but getting a large moving truck is definitely out of the budget.
I plan to take out my filter cartridge and put it in its own bag for the trip. If I can, I will leave the gravel in the bottom of the tank and keep it moist. If that won't work, I will have to sacrifice the gravel bb.
@BillD, thanks for the tip about the Kordon bags. I have not heard of those before. I will definitely think about that in case the trip for the fish is on the long side. I am thinking about selling off my rummies and cories (and maybe a few other common species) since they would be easily replaceable.
@boadams87, I never even thought about using my air pumps, but that makes sense. Thanks.:)
@jetajockey, yeah, I am definitely thinking that even if I have to ship my other fish, I would like to try to keep the angels with me. The styro cooler does seem like the best option since we could stash it in the car rather easily.

Back
Top Bottom