Big Move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
I have asked a similar question in the past about moving my tanks across town, but this time I will probably be moving from WA state to Lincoln, NE. So, its a bigger move. For my last in-town move, it was pretty easy to just put all my fish in a couple of 5g buckets, drain most of my water, move, and refill. This time will be a little different. There is a chance I may have to mail all my fish to my new address. So, my question is do you guys think it would be easier for me to ship my fish over to NE (I have a person who can receive the shipment in case I am not there yet), or to travel with them in buckets/bags?
I should add that this won't be for a few months, so I have some time to plan. Also, specifically, what be the easiest on my adult angels?

absolutangel04 said:
I have asked a similar question in the past about moving my tanks across town, but this time I will probably be moving from WA state to Lincoln, NE. So, its a bigger move. For my last in-town move, it was pretty easy to just put all my fish in a couple of 5g buckets, drain most of my water, move, and refill. This time will be a little different. There is a chance I may have to mail all my fish to my new address. So, my question is do you guys think it would be easier for me to ship my fish over to NE (I have a person who can receive the shipment in case I am not there yet), or to travel with them in buckets/bags?
I should add that this won't be for a few months, so I have some time to plan. Also, specifically, what be the easiest on my adult angels?

How long of a drive is it? I would take the fish with you when you move. It would be easier and you can keep their temperatures controlled, and make sure they're ok. You could get a battery powered air pump. They are super helpful for moves.

what about plastic bags filled with O2 and put in polystyrene boxes, just like they ship fish long distance. and take them along with u.

in the buckets, water could spill on the journey and also O2 level may start dropping drastically depending on the journey length. Also PS box will keep them in the dark (reduce stress), and maintain the temperature, and absorb shock.

i have no experience in that domain, this is just my opinion, trying to help :)

The drive is 22 hours according to google maps. We would do it over 2 days probably (with a stop at a friend's house part way through to sleep a bit).
One reason for me having to ship them is a potential space issue depending on how big of a moving van/truck we can afford. I would prefer to keep them with me, but I am not sure if its possible yet.
Another option we are looking into is shipping my things (including the tank) by rail, shipping the fish, and then just driving in a car with ourselves, my cat, and snake). If we do that, I have to ship to fish, but I am a bit afraid of shipping the angels because I have heard larger fish are harder to ship.
In case I have to ship, does anybody know how bug of a bag I should put an adult angel in?

what about plastic bags filled with O2 and put in polystyrene boxes, just like they ship fish long distance. and take them along with u.

in the buckets, water could spill on the journey and also O2 level may start dropping drastically depending on the journey length. Also PS box will keep them in the dark (reduce stress), and maintain the temperature, and absorb shock.

i have no experience in that domain, this is just my opinion, trying to help :)
Do you mean like those disposable coolers? Thats a good idea. Would the amount of O2 go down much faster in a bag than in a bucket? With a bucket, you don't have to fill it all the way up so that leaves a more room for air than a big does, but of course I would have more fish in a bucket than in a bag....
I have buckets with lids that won't leak, so I'm not too concerned about that. Of course, I could always poke holes in the bucket lids, but that opens up the chance for leaking....

Nah in the plactic bags u could fill it with O2, not regular air. They should have the device or canister at your LFS. This fills the bag with a more concentrated dose of O2 than we get from breathing regular air. The plastic bag will hold it, in a bucket u cant do that, it will just escape.

Why not ship the smaller fish and take the angels with you in the car?
I am starting to think thats a good idea. Space may be an issue, but I would think that one bucket/box with the angels would be able to fit with us in addition to my other things.
orNarain, I have seen some stores use those O2 things to fill bags with, byt lfs doesn't do it (that I see). It hadn't occurred to me to ask them about it. I can always see if you have that device and would be willing to help me out.

You can make your own O2 but getting it into the bag might prove to be a problem.

You could actually do a pure O2 bubbler much like DIY CO2...

Take one plastic bottle, a check valve, airline tubing and an air stone.
Assemble the unit.
Put some hydrogen peroxide in the bottle and drop in a small piece of lead. Tada! Pure O2.

You could actually do a pure O2 bubbler much like DIY CO2...

Take one plastic bottle, a check valve, airline tubing and an air stone.
Assemble the unit.
Put some hydrogen peroxide in the bottle and drop in a small piece of lead. Tada! Pure O2.
Where would I get a piece of lead?
I will look this up on you-tube to see if there are any diy videos. :)

You could even ship them in a big bag with a DIY mini oxygen reactor...

absolutangel04 said:
Where would I get a piece of lead?
I will look this up on you-tube to see if there are any diy videos. :)
Ironically enough, a bait and tackle shop. Fishing weights are made of lead and cost only pennies.

maxwellag said:
You could even ship them in a big bag with a DIY mini oxygen reactor...
You would have to figure a way that the H2O2 bottle would not tip. With shipping there is no way you could guarantee this.

Plant weights are also made of lead if you already have some of those lying around.

No, I put regular air in my fish bags.

I'd use a rolling cooler, like an igloo cooler, and if the fish need to be separated then bag them individually and stow them in a styro container, but for the big fish I'd keep them in a cooler with aeration. Heat really isn't that big of a problem as long as you keep the cooler shut and in decent room/vehicle temps.

Alyxx said:
Plant weights are also made of lead if you already have some of those lying around.

Not lead but a magnesium/zinc alloy. They may work as a catalyst though, I don't know.

Have you compared the difference in cost between shipping and a slightly larger truck? You generally want a larger truck anyway so you don't damage your belongings by stacking them too much.

You could take extra water and be able to monitor them. I like the igloo cooler ideas.

Back
Top Bottom