BIG problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I knew my lfs was having a sale this weekend and that "select items" were going to be 25% off. I just stopped by and I found out that everything is going to be 25% off! I can't handle that, lol. I need to be saving for sensible things I really do need but now I'm like "Uhh... well I really, really do want another tank and now would be the perfect time to buy it." They're going to have twice the fish stock they have now by this weekend. My mind is spinning with what kind of tank, lights, plants, fish, everything I could get. It's just mean... =[

Yes, I have fallen prey to this many a time! My greatest demonstration of strength was last week when my husband called me on his cell and said that he had seen a tank on someone's front porch for sale and did I want him to get it for me.... I said (gasp) NO! We are getting the house fixed up to move and I just can't get another tank, so I have to squeeze my eyes shut if I see something on sale. I think there will always be something, somewhere for me when I need it (usually in the classifieds - my best deals have been there). It is almost my favorite part of this hobby to plan a new tank!

Bwaahahahahaha! I only can dream about having such problems ;)

Do compare the prices with what you'll find online, especially at www.bigals.com. You may find the prices are cheaper at BigAls, even with shipping. That might be enough to pull in the reins on that need to shop immediately *grin*

Its in our blood, ladies... we hear the word "sale" and we just can't resist! :mrgreen:

I personally am an ebay addict. ;)

You know, I have never bought anything from eBay...I'm SUCH a wimp LOL I'm so afraid I'll get burned. I've bought stuff online, no probs with that. But I always buy from places that have presidents/CEOs and return policies LOL

And yeah, there is something about the word sale that trips my trigger ;) I'm amazed at your self control Tank LOL Not sure if I'd be as strong.

Sati, which LFS is this, Blue Sierra? I have to call them and find out if they have ottos!

I'm amazed at your self control Tank LOL Not sure if I'd be as strong.
That was one of the hardest things I had to do! All I can think about now is having the carpet replaced and moving a 55 and a 44 with their stands to do it, and how the outlets in the other part of the house are not grounded (50 gillion things plugged into the strips for each tank) and I have to be strong, have to be strong..... Being on this site makes me want to set up all kinds of different tanks, gotta have a crab tank, a frog tank, a SW tank, a brackish tank... When will the madness end?!! Once I move, I plan on staying there to a ripe old age and becoming the "fish lady" on the block!

LOL Oh I hear ya! I've managed to condense myself to 2 tanks atm; the 55g and the planted 10g. Of course, i got a new stand for the 25g, and its all set up with the tank so I can start converting it to SW *grin* Is why my 10g and 8g are empty. The 8g is the QT tank for the FW tanks, and the 10g will be the QT for the SW tank. But boy it hurts to have empty tanks LOL

And I have the same prob with electricity. They finally came in this summer and converted all the outlets to grounded (we did some, but not all), and added another circuit so we could run the A/C. But, they were unable to run a line into the foyer in the middle of the apt, which is where I really want to put a tank....I'm tempted to run an extension cord in there so I can add another tank n stand LOL I really want discus now *grin*

Allivymar said:
I really want discus now *grin*

OMG, me too! I don't know if I'm ready for them but they're so wonderful!

Look at Brian's discus!
2714discus_1.jpg

I live in an apartment (moving in a month to another one) so I keep telling myself MTS is not an option for me... It's so hard, heh.

myriam said:
Sati, which LFS is this, Blue Sierra? I have to call them and find out if they have ottos!
Yes, Blue Sierra! You'll probably see me there drooling on everything :]

Omg...look at them; they are STUNNING! I'm almost sorry my tank is full of angelfish. I wish I had room to do both...

Btw, which Brian? BrianNY?

TankGirl said:
My greatest demonstration of strength was last week when my husband called me on his cell and said that he had seen a tank on someone's front porch for sale and did I want him to get it for me.... I said (gasp) NO!

BTW, TankGirl, I think you're crazy! I would have snatched up that tank and kept it in the yard til I moved, lol :]

I would have snatched up that tank and kept it in the yard til I moved, lol :]
I know, but if you could see what was already in my yard and in the garage... 8O

Thank you Sati. I'm flattered that you like my discus. I got these fish in July at about 2", and now they are over 5". I've been keeping fish for so many years now and have been through the whole gammut. FW, SW, even bred quite a few species of fish. Personally though, I can't think of any fishkeeping experience that's been more rewarding then raising these discus.

Discus are hardier than most people think. They require a little more time, but not much. Tankgirl, Alli,Sati, or anyone,if you want to keep discus go for it! I'd be happy to share my experiences and help you any way I can. PM me if you like :D

Tankgirl, Alli,Sati, or anyone,if you want to keep discus go for it!

I think I might take you up on that after we move in the spring. Once I get a 75-90 gal I think discus will be it. I have always found laterally compressed fish appealing, like angels, silver dollars, fingerfish and of course, discus. There was one at PetsMart of all places yesterday, apparently wild caught.

TankGirl said:
Okay, okay, I'm going right now to get that tank....I am weak, weak I tell you!

Mwuhaha, I broke her down! Good for you, TankGirl :D

BrianNY said:
Thank you Sati. I'm flattered that you like my discus. I got these fish in July at about 2", and now they are over 5". I've been keeping fish for so many years now and have been through the whole gammut. FW, SW, even bred quite a few species of fish. Personally though, I can't think of any fishkeeping experience that's been more rewarding then raising these discus.

Discus are hardier than most people think. They require a little more time, but not much. Tankgirl, Alli,Sati, or anyone,if you want to keep discus go for it! I'd be happy to share my experiences and help you any way I can. PM me if you like :D

Brian, I just love your fish! I have dreamt of discus for years now. Hearing you say that they are the most rewarding after all my years makes me happy because lately I've been wondering if they're going to be as nice as I've always thought. I would absolutely love to set up a tank so I'll most probably be bugging you :]

*sniffle* I'd LOVE to try my hand at discus, but I've no room! The angels, plec and loaches are in the only biggish tank I can fit in this place (a 55g). Love my babies; wouldn't give em up even tho I know some folks are comfortable switching species at will. My only other non 10g tank is the 25g; which is too small for discus IMHO and will be a SW soon enough anyway. I'll just have to admire the discus pics of others for now :)

Back
Top Bottom