Big problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashafer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I didn't know what place to post this on but you guys helped me before. I have like a million ants all around my tank on my lights filters in the water EVERYWHERE. I want to know what I can do to get rid of them. Any suggestions are helpful. They are just sugar ants by the way

You could try putting some bay leaves,mint, basil, or rosemary around your tank. They don't like the smell of these herbs, so they will stay away from the area. Also, you could try to spray vinegar around the tank too (like on the cabinet the tank sits on). Not sure how many times you would have to reapply, so I would suggest the herbs. :)

I had an issue with ants once and I sprinkled cinnamon around and the ants were gone! All natural and smells super good. Good luck :)

Vinegar is harmful to fish. I would only suggest spraying it on the cabinet, not inside the tank. Cinnamon is supposed to be really good too!

The little tiny ants, correct? You need to figure out where they are coming from as they have a nest somewhere. Ran into this problem just recently and couldn't figure out why they were swarming one tank. I took the lights (with hoods) off and took them outside. After unscrewing the hood and taking apart the fixture, inside were literally hundreds of eggs and ants. After cleaning them up, ant problem is solved! :)

How did you get rid of the ones on your tank? Or just take it outside with ants on it?

They were living in the light fixtures. Once I took them off and cleaned out the ants and eggs, I have not seen an ant since. As a precaution, I wiped down the the exterior of the tank and stand with vinegar to remove any stragglers but they were nesting in the lights. Find the nest and you eliminate the source of the problem. :)

Back
Top Bottom