big temp change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.bug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
yesterday i was making some changes in my 20 gal tank. i moved in 2 new fish, did a 10% water change and added a brand new rock.

this morning when i went to test the nitrite i thought the water felt warmer than usual, checked the thermometer and somehow over night the water went from 79 to 86 degrees. i figured that when i put that rock in it must have bumped up against the submerged heater and turned the dial. i have a pretty cheap heater(top fin) and it doesnt say what temp it is set at. it has a dial that just moves from high to low. so i have no way of knowing if it actually moved or not.

anyway, i adjusted it to lower and hopefully that will fix it.

should i be concerned about my fish? they seem fine. i have 2 powder blue gouramis, 3 red honey gouramis and 4 skunk cories in there? will bringing the temp back down shock them again? anyone have advice on how to best handle this?

if you return to your normal temperature very slowly...about 1F every 4-6 hours your fish should be fine....HTH.... :D

The temp of 86 will not harm the fish. That's the temp that the water should be when treating ich. As patagonia said, turn it down slowly. A sudden decrease in temp is also stressful.

In general, tropical fish tolerate warmer temps much better than cooler temps.
If you turn down the heater and let the tank slowly cool down on its own, I think they'll be fine. DON'T add cool water or ice cubes - this would drop the temp too quickly and stress the fish. HTH

Back
Top Bottom