Bigger Fish For Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugget6476

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 130L aquarium, 92cm x 36cm x 43cm. In here I have:

10 Neon Tetra
5 Cardinal Tetra
9 Rummynose Tetra
4 Peppered Corydoras
2 Honey Gourami

I am looking for 1 or 2 bigger fish to finish the tank off that would get along well with these fish.

I was thinking maybe a Pair of Bolivion Rams or Balloon Rams or something else.

Any suggestions of bigger peaceful fish would be great.

Thanks

Yes, I think Bolivians would be fine. Personally, I don't recommend balloon rams. GBR are sensitive enough without adding a deformity that makes them prone to swim bladder issues.
A keyhole would be ok, as would some of the other common dwarf cichlids like apistos or laetacaras.

I've got a bolivian and a gbr in my community tank. They really didn't seem to get along with eachother at first but now they swim around together

Bolivians tend to be hardier than GBR, have kept both wouldn't recommend mixing both due to territorial issues.

If you go for GBR you really want good stock as they are more sensitive than the Bolivian, but both do need quality conditions.

Both are peaceful but they are cichlids my bolivians do have the odd go my swords during feeding or to move them on.

Both a great fish.

Thanks everyone:), I think the Bolivion Rams seem to be the way to go. Should I get a male and a female?, I hope they wont destroy the plants too much, Im going to upload new pictures of my tank soon if anyone is interested in looking haha:)

Also a bit off topic, I have 2 kinds of plants that are growing great in my tank, and then another 3 kinds that are struggling a bit and turning brown and loosing leaves. Is this a lack of something, or just some plants may like my tank conditions and others dont?

I am very glad I took up the hobby:D, it's relaxing and interesting to watch the tank full of happy fish.

What type of plants? I have a GBR in my community, and he's great! He actually schools with my black skirt tetras (weirdo). GBR's are hardier than people might think. Just make sure they are from a good stock and you acclimate properly. Oh, and my GBR leaves the plants alone.

Thanks everyone:), I think the Bolivion Rams seem to be the way to go. Should I get a male and a female?, I hope they wont destroy the plants too much, Im going to upload new pictures of my tank soon if anyone is interested in looking haha:)

Also a bit off topic, I have 2 kinds of plants that are growing great in my tank, and then another 3 kinds that are struggling a bit and turning brown and loosing leaves. Is this a lack of something, or just some plants may like my tank conditions and others dont?

I am very glad I took up the hobby:D, it's relaxing and interesting to watch the tank full of happy fish.

With Bolivians, you can get either a single or you can get 2. They won't hurt the plants. They are not diggers or plant munchers, so no worries about your greenery.
As for your plant question, I suggest you make at thread in the planted section and get some pictures if you can. It does sound like your plants are wanting for something, but I couldn't tell you what that something is without some more info. Also, more planted experts will see it if you start a thread over in the planted section. :)

+1gbr are hardy if from sound stock. I've never had an issue with any of mine and plants either other than an occasional uproot when spawning.

Back
Top Bottom