bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is a bigger tank better i have a 10 gallon is it harder to take care of help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I`m assuming this is a FW tank as you put it in the wrong FW forum. Moving this to the FW general discussion forum. I hope you find your answers.

so can anyone answer the question oh and what size would be the best

amanda23 said:
so can anyone answer the question oh and what size would be the best

There is no "best" size.

For beginners they say bigger is better simply because the larger body of water means that mistakes have less of an impact.

But then against depends what you are puttin in it too.

I'd have to agree there is no "right" size. I went through probably 4 different tanks until I got a size that I was happy with and the wife was happy with too! ( very important) so its a matter of what you want, what you can handle (as far as keeping up on it) and where it's going, does it fit? What style? Things like that.

Well for me those were all factors. Everyone is different.

Just thought I'd lend my 2 cents and I don't want it back :)

im not a bigginer i started with a 3 gallone now i have a tank but i want to go bigger i just want some opinions

Last edited:
I have a 20g and a 10g but I'd love to have a 30g or bigger. It all depends on the amount of space available to you. There is no right size.

I started with 2 gallon, moved to a 10 and finally settled with a 29. IMO, it's the perfect size, not too big not too small. Tons of fish options and not too hard to maintain. It's different for everyone. I look at huge tanks and think there's no way I want to lug around that many buckets of water!!! On the other hand, I'm sure for some, bigger is always better.

I have 7 10g's, 2 20 longs, a 29, two 40 breeders, a 125, and a 150. Out of all of them, I'd have to say that the 40 breeders are my favorite. IMO, they are the 'best' tank for most anything. Yeah, there are some fish that won't work in them, but generally speaking, they will accomidate almost any fish a 55 will, have a better footprint, aren't as deep, and have a lot of front to back depth that makes them really fun to scape.

mfdrookie516 said:
I have 7 10g's, 2 20 longs, a 29, two 40 breeders, a 125, and a 150. Out of all of them, I'd have to say that the 40 breeders are my favorite. IMO, they are the 'best' tank for most anything. Yeah, there are some fish that won't work in them, but generally speaking, they will accomidate almost any fish a 55 will, have a better footprint, aren't as deep, and have a lot of front to back depth that makes them really fun to scape.

I agree 40 is best IMO. mine is only 3 feet long so it can be put most places

depends, bigger is generally more stable, i have a 5.5 (betta), 10, and 60 and the 60 is the easiest and most fun IMO

I had a 29 now a 65. The 65 is better when it comes to picking fish, almost endless possiblities. The only draw back is its 24'' deep and not fun to go shoulder deep to move stuff. Long term plan is to have the 65 be a discus tank in the living room and a 150 in the basement. Dont tell the GF. muahahaha

NYgiantsRP said:
I had a 29 now a 65. The 65 is better when it comes to picking fish, almost endless possiblities. The only draw back is its 24'' deep and not fun to go shoulder deep to move stuff. Long term plan is to have the 65 be a discus tank in the living room and a 150 in the basement. Dont tell the GF. muahahaha

Lol hahah!! Sounds like a plan! Whatll be in the 150.
OP, in my opinion it is best to go bigger untill you hit the 75 mark. Past that, it is alot of work, again, IMO. if your a beginer, i would reccomend jumping straight from a 10, to whatever tank youll be maxxed out at, ya know? Most people will only upgrade by like 10 gallons each new tank, and end up with 7 tanks. Go straight from your current tank, to a big tank. Thats all im sayin:D

OP, in my opinion it is best to go bigger untill you hit the 75 mark. Past that, it is alot of work, again, IMO. if your a beginer, i would reccomend jumping straight from a 10, to whatever tank youll be maxxed out at, ya know? Most people will only upgrade by like 10 gallons each new tank, and end up with 7 tanks. Go straight from your current tank, to a big tank. Thats all im sayin:D

^Totally agree
I went from a 10 to a 55. Good move. I think a 40 breeder or a 55 would be good options. They're large enough to be considered a "big tank" but still small enough to be easy to maintain. I used to think they were big, anyway, until I got my 125 haha. Dwarfs all my other tanks.
I think the best way to decide what size tank you need is to plan what kind of tank you want to make. I LOVE all my tank sizes for different reasons. I use my 55 for my catfish, my 20 for a planted community, and my 10 for a highly specific biotope planted tank. If you give us more of an idea of what you want to do it will be easier for us to give you some suggestions!

Gboy66 said:

+ermm 2 :p
I went straight from a 8g (that at the time I thought was a 6.6g) to a 70g! I love my 70g. It's only 3foot long but REALLY deep. I wanted another but had to compromise with a 17g with the hubby.

thx i think ill get a 29 or mabye a forty u guys have been a huge help

should i buy a fish stand or put it on my dresser

amanda23 said:
should i buy a fish stand or put it on my dresser

Probably best to buy a stand. Larger tanks can get quite heavy. Then at least you don't have I worry about it collapsing because you have a stand designed to take the weight.

Back
Top Bottom