Bigger water change then planned. Am I ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well the only time I have nowadays seems to be when the little guy is asleep. So I couldn't sleep and went to do a water change in my 75g. Well my son woke up crying so I went to tend to him and try and get him to go back to sleep. He's teething really bad right now. Anyway, I lost track of time and took him with me out to the living room to find I did about 70-75%!! I added more buffer then normal to account for the amount of water taken out. And I added about a tablespoon of Cichlid salt which I use rarely but because of the amount of water taken out I felt the need to add it.

Now will this massive water change effect things? Cause a mini cycle or something? Or am I ok?

Of course I'll run all needed tests in the am.

Thanks. Just got nervous.

You are fine as long as the temperature isn't too different from before. Usually I do a 75% maximum water change because the more you change, the more the parameters of the water change. By cichlid salt I think you mean aquarium salt. There is no need to use it with cichlids, unless you are treating them for an illness. It doesn't hurt anything to use it, though.

maxwellag said:
You are fine as long as the temperature isn't too different from before. Usually I do a 75% maximum water change because the more you change, the more the parameters of the water change. By cichlid salt I think you mean aquarium salt. There is no need to use it with cichlids, unless you are treating them for an illness. It doesn't hurt anything to use it, though.

Oh ok. I didn't know that about the salt. It's actually called Cichlid salt by Seachem

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/CichlidLakeSalt.html

Water temp went down by 2 degrees but the tank has been running hot the past few days. Usually it's 76.6-77.0. With the heat it actually hit 80.0. So with this water change it's now 77.9. Hopefully all those numbers don't mess them up. Last time I did a huge water change and the temp dropped I have females holding and fry everywhere.

I'll check my parameters in the am. Thanks.

Convict2161 said:
Oh ok. I didn't know that about the salt. It's actually called Cichlid salt by Seachem

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/CichlidLakeSalt.html

Water temp went down by 2 degrees but the tank has been running hot the past few days. Usually it's 76.6-77.0. With the heat it actually hit 80.0. So with this water change it's now 77.9. Hopefully all those numbers don't mess them up. Last time I did a huge water change and the temp dropped I have females holding and fry everywhere.

I'll check my parameters in the am. Thanks.
A 2° drop won't hurt anything. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Aski247 said:
Totally fine, I can't remember the last time I did less then 50% in any of my tanks. I often do larger then that. Clean water is always a good thing.

Cool makes me feel better. I thought I read somewhere that too big of a water change can drastically change all parameters and possible stress all fish in the tank with pH drop and other issues.

I accidentally did a 75% water change on my 240
I filled it up to 75% full then waited a day or two then filled it up the ready of the way.
After doing that accidentally, the fish were amazingly happy. 0.0

I've done larger water changes like that (some accidentally when I left the siphon unattended and some on purpose) and the fish were fine. The PH out of my tap is 8.4 until it gasses down to 7.2 so I was concerned about the PH shift but the fish didn't seem to even notice lol

Parameters are all fine.

pH 8.2

Ammonia 0

NitrAtes are 10 if that. Slight orange. Probably due to such a large water change. I never see that low of trates.

Nitrites 0

I tested for phosphates just because, also 0

Everyone appears happy.

Large Water Change

Well the only time I have nowadays seems to be when the little guy is asleep. So I couldn't sleep and went to do a water change in my 75g. Well my son woke up crying so I went to tend to him and try and get him to go back to sleep. He's teething really bad right now. Anyway, I lost track of time and took him with me out to the living room to find I did about 70-75%!! I added more buffer then normal to account for the amount of water taken out. And I added about a tablespoon of Cichlid salt which I use rarely but because of the amount of water taken out I felt the need to add it.

Now will this massive water change effect things? Cause a mini cycle or something? Or am I ok?

Of course I'll run all needed tests in the am.

Thanks. Just got nervous.

Hello C...

I've never heard of a large water change doing any damage to the chemistry of a tank. Water changes are the best things ever for maintaining a healthy tank. I can't think of one disadvantage to doing large, frequent water changes. Your fish are probably thinking they've died and gone to heaven.

Nearly all of the good bacteria lives on all the surfaces in the tank, so a water change won't affect any of that. You've simply removed more of the dissolved wastes this time and that's a good thing.

Don't fret the small stuff. If that's the biggest mistake you make with your tank, you'll be very fortunate.

B

Back
Top Bottom