biggest pleco you have owned or own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaymz_Eric

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Back in the day I started out with a hand me down 10 gallon jammed full of odd ball fish, one was a common pleco, only about 2 inches long, i thought how cool is this ya know, it eats poop pretty much. well about 6 months later hes so big he can't even find a place to lay down on the bottom, so i buy a 29 thinking it was big enough, well he gets even bigger, by the time i gave him away he was an amazing 15 inches long and mean as could be, so my question to you, whast the biggest you have ever owned or own now?

I have a 9" (without tail, 12" with) Sailfin, who startles easily, but is very gentle, except when you try and pick him up, makes you appreciate the stregth they have.

you try to touch them nasty things?!?!?! oh god they gross me out, thats why i got rid of the tank. he flopped out of a holding bucket once when i had to tear down my tank and started zooming across the carpet, i freaked out and dad runs and grabbed the thing with his hands, said it was the nastiest thing he had ever done in his life, there awesome fish, but god there ugly, just out of curiosity how do you get him in and out of the tank when you need to, mine always got tangled in nets, and i refuse to touch him lol.

I think Pleco's are the cutest fish there is. But it's all personal taste. I love them because they are so graceful, but their bodies are not the standard fish shape. Plus, I like how they stick to the glass and stare at you. :D I don't touch fish (well, a few exceptions, only when "petting" them) but James takes all new arrivals out of the transport bags with his hands. He hasn't netted an African in a LONG time. Pleco's he always moves with his hands. We don't want to get a fish tangled in a net.

I had to move him from a 20Gal to the 75, I looked at my net and laughed.. That was the only way I could think of, in hindsight, you could use a bucket. just put the bucket in and sho him in..

They aren't disgusting, it's very boney and extremely strong .. but I wouldn't say any worse then pickin up a turtle or crayfish.

I always handle my plecos. :? My largest to date is a 10" common but I have an albino sailfin and a rhino who can both get to 18". :D

Just was wondering how easy it is to catch a pleco with your hands? Aren't they fast, or do they pretty much let you catch them with your hands?

I still don't see how you guys touch those things, i miss mine, like FishyFanatic said i love the gracefulness and the way they suck on the tanks, but something about that mouth and soft belly gross me out, i was always terrified when i was vaccuming the gravel it would come up and suck on tho my hand and use its scraper agianst my skin, just sitting here typing that gave me chills lol i won't even touch small fish like barbs unless i have to, i seriously wonder why i like aquariums so much lol

i just thought of something after my post, if the body and fins of plecos are sharp why not use some rubber ggloves like you wash dishes with, new and unused of course....is there any dangers to that?

Gloves are not a bad idea to use in tanks. Alot of people do use them in case there is a disease in the tank. For example, if a fish in the tank is infected with TB, ALWAYS use gloves. Otherwise it can spread to you. Heck, even Big Al's sells tank gloves.

I figured I may as well toss my 8" Sailfin gibbiceps into the mix.

dec162005009_1.jpg

He tries to not uproot plants but occassionally, the non-rooted ones will be dislodged. And, not to mention he is absolutely docile.

I've got a common that's longer than my 55 tank is wide (12 3/4"). I've never measured him, but he can't turn around in the tank anymore without hitting both sides and bending himself. I estimate 13"-14". He's about 8 years old. Maybe 10. I don't remember anymore when I got him.

Cute pleco!!! I had a common a while back that was getting big, he made it to 6" before I gave him to someone with a giant tank. I now have a tiny scribble pleco that will not get any bigger than 3-4 inches. I do like big plecos though and will probably get a bigger one for my 55.

My pleco is about 9" long right now and he is the most peaceful graceful fish i have ever had. Nobody messes with him!!! i have another small comon pleco only about 2" long in the 55 gallon and a bristlenose albino in my 10 gallon tank.

Not the same TB that causes tuberculosis in humans. It is a different bacteria. Mycobacterium tuberculosis is what causes tubercolosis in humans. The bacteria which causes fish TB is known as Mycobacteria marinum

My mom used to have an 85 gallon tank about 2 decades ago and the pleco she had (I think it was a common) it used to hang on the front of the tank with the tip of its nose about an inch under the water line the rest of it extened to the bottom of the tank turned and went another 6 inches it had to be atleast 20 inches. The fish was almost 12 years old I think

Back
Top Bottom