BIGGEST TANK YET!!!!100 gallons!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So while trying to sell a 55 gallon aquareum at a yard sale, i met a man that was selling a 100 gallon aquareum, for 40 dollars, i said yes and am going to pick it up soon.
so i was going to do this with my 46 gallon, but now that i have a 100 gallon im going to do it with this instead, i want to do an oddblall tank, catfish, bichers, knifefish, prihistoric predators.
or i may do brackish, silver tip catfish, monos, chromides, and best of all archer fish, if i do that i would build a canopy with plants above it for crickets to sit on.

100 gallons may seem like a ton but in the world of prehistoric monster fish it's still quite small. Choose your stock wisely.

Caleb

So while trying to sell a 55 gallon aquareum at a yard sale, i met a man that was selling a 100 gallon aquareum, for 40 dollars, i said yes and am going to pick it up soon.

so i was going to do this with my 46 gallon, but now that i have a 100 gallon im going to do it with this instead, i want to do an oddblall tank, catfish, bichers, knifefish, prihistoric predators.

or i may do brackish, silver tip catfish, monos, chromides, and best of all archer fish, if i do that i would build a canopy with plants above it for crickets to sit on.

Um... 100 gallons isn't that much for these fish...

Some of these fish can claim territories claiming over 100 square feet. The small amount of that this tank will provide still doesn't mean much. When you start getting into tanks that are like 8+ feet by 4+ feet you cam get into having more than one ore two of the larger fish.

I think you need to decide here.

You can do New World Cichlids, like Oscar or Texas.

You could do African themed, either Cichlids or other fish.

Catfish/Bichir Tank.

Or a slight mix of those. But you are over-estimating how much your tank can hold.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

well i don't plan on keeping all those fish and i would keep what i can, i know i can't keep red flag tail catfish but i can keep pictus and oter medium cats. but i would love to get a few archer fish, i know about brackish and would do a brackish tank for these, archer fish and other brackish fish are my first choice.

but i picked up the tank today, it is acualy a 90 gallon made by marine land, it has a painted bck background, and is 4 feet long, 2 feet tall and 18 deep.

so i got yet another idea, what if i did a tank with mostly like 6-10 discus, like 50 cardinal tetras and like 20 corys. i will have this tank planted and highly filtered.

ok so i realy have 3 ideas,

idea 1; comunity: with corys, cardnial tertas, and discus

idea 2; archerfish tank: with archerfish , columbian cafish, and others like scats mono's, chromides, and gobys.

Idea 3; moster/oddball/prehistoric: fish like bichirs, ells, catfish, knifefish and some other larger fish

The brackish plan you have sounds awesome. Skipping the silver tip cats you could do a great setup.

If you like discus look into adult Severum. IMO adult sevs have every bit as much color, more personality and not as fragile.

idea 2; archerfish tank: with archerfish , columbian cafish, and others like scats mono's, chromides, and gobys.

Idea 3; moster/oddball/prehistoric: fish like bichirs, ells, catfish, knifefish and some other larger fish

Forget the scats (too large, end up fully salt typically), forget the monos (same issue), Colombian catfish (same reasons). Remember that an archer tank means a much lower water level, which means nowhere near the same volume as the overall tank size....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont mean to be a party pooper at all I am just a bit concerned you feel this tank is much bigger then it really is. Its easy to do when yo go from a smaller tank to a bigger one however a 90g tank really isnt that big. idea 3 of oddball fish wouldnt work because theres not any good ones you can keep in that side tank. remember this is just a 4ft long 18inch deep tank so its really just a 75g but taller. you would do the archer fish thing however im not sure it would really be worth it because you would have to have your water level so low. I think the first idea is the best and honestly would look the best.

My worry with idea #1 is your post prior of having 8-10 discuss 50 cardinals and 20 corys. This is just WAY to many fish for that size tank. Discuss are very touchy and need really high water quality and with that many fish you will not be able to give that to them. you could keep a group of 6 discuss with 15 cardinals and like 5-7 corys and you would probably be ok.

Dont get me wrong here I am not being critical of you at all. I just know how easy it is to get a bit carried away. I went from a 10g to a 75g to a 220g reef tank. and even I with a 220g need to take a step back of what I want to keep. I really wanted to put a bamboo shark in my reef however I had to look at a few things. Number one it would someday be to big. Because of the amount of rockwork I have for my coral in the tank he wouldnt have a ton of swimming space and finally the amount of waste he would create would make it difficult for me to keep my water quality up for my coral and other fish that are more sensitive.

Take your time. research. dont over do it and you will have a tank you really love and that is still a hobby. If you get in over your head and the tank starts giving you issues because of to much bioload or what ever the case my be you get burnt out of a large tank really quickly because its so much more work to do what used to be a very simple 5g water change. I do a 90g water change every week on my reef tank and have to test my params every couple days. This really burned me out I started to slack and then I started to lose coral/fish costing me tons of money.

I bring this up because if you go spend 600$-1000$ on 10 discuss you will not be able to keep up with the water quality they demand to stay healthy along with that many other fish and they will start to die and you will be out 100$s of dollars and you will become frustrated.

Forget the scats (too large, end up fully salt typically), forget the monos (same issue), Colombian catfish (same reasons). Remember that an archer tank means a much lower water level, which means nowhere near the same volume as the overall tank size....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

why would i need to lover the water?

do a google search for Archerfish aquariums...they need to be able to do their hunting and thats shooting insects off of plants and into the water. they are also jumpers. they will not be happy if they cant do what they do and honestly I think its the whole point of having them isnt it? that is what makes them cool.

oh thats why, well i have my own idea, i was going to build a cage like thing above the tank that goes a couple fet above the tank for plants and to keep them from jumping out, they would have plants and i could fill the tank

oh thats why, well i have my own idea, i was going to build a cage like thing above the tank that goes a couple fet above the tank for plants and to keep them from jumping out, they would have plants and i could fill the tank

but thats not going to keep the bugs in they will just get away, also you will have water sprayed all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom