bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gexs316

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi i'm a new member and i was just wondering can someone please explain to me what exactly do bio balls do.How are they good and bad.Just if anyone has used them explain to me their own experiences with this product.

Bio balls are media for filters that are designed to grow bacteria for the biological filter. They have a large surface area for the bacteria to grow on and are typically found in undercabinet wet/dry type filters. They work well for this purpose and are probably as good as any other bio media.

While we are on the subject of bioballs, can I hijack this thread & ask a related question.

I am setting up a 70 gal + 30 gal DIY sump for fancy goldies. Although I am returing the water from the sump with a canister (Magnum 350), I figure I may as well add a DIY wet/Dry and put some bioballs in.

How many do people use for this size system? (My lfs is selling them 5 for $1, so it get expensive quick!!)

Wow. That's awfully expensive. I'm not 100% sure on exactly how much you would need for that type of setup but someone has an auction running on ebay where you get 100 bio balls for $4. I have a 180 gal tank with a wet dry and a 30 gal sump and if I had to take a guess I'd say I have probably close to 500 in mine.

Make sure the water is mechanically filter before pass through the bio ball as bioball have tendency of clogging if unfilter water pass throuh it in long run.

Back
Top Bottom