bio balls in HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys iu was thinking do you think its better to put a media such as bio balls before or after the cartridge in a HOB type filter or would it matter, I only have 3, two of them are really covered in bacteria you can see brownish stuff all over it and the other is new, I know alot people think having only 3 won't make much of a difference but i still like em lo lso anyways, what your thoughts

I have always been told to put bio media at the top so its the last thing the water touches before it back in the tank.

That is correct. I could have it backwards been a while since I used an HOB. The bio media is last in my cannister.

cool mines behind the media as the water exits, they just stay about halfway down, I figured that was the best way

My HOB's, the water goes through the filter pad first, then through the filter media. That way all the gunk from the tank don't clog up all the ceramic rings, etc.

the 2 bio balls I traded i had that were new i traded to a buddy for 2 that were about 3 years old and they have this blackish brown stuff on them , i washed them lightly in water and it won't go away i presume this is the bacteria growing

Biomedia always after some form of pre-filter. Keeps them cleaner and functioning better. Therefore, if they are last in line, they get exposed to the least amount of clogging debris. In my canisters I have prefilter sponge, then coarse filter ceraminc noodles, then filter floss for fine mechanical, then two baskets of ceramic biomedia. When I do maintenance, the biomedia just looks like new media that is wet.

Back
Top Bottom