Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bio Filter Booster?

Hello everyone. I am wondering if there is an easy way to boost a bio filter? My tank has been set up for 4 months now and has cycled via a fishless cycle. There are fish in it and ammonia and nitrite are 0. The exception to this is when I add fish - trace amounts of ammonia and nitrite are then present in my tank for a while after adding them. Is my bio filter too weak at this point because it is still young? Is there something I can do to prevent this, or will it just strengthen over time? I don't think I have added too much too quickly as I added only 5 black neon tetras the other day in a 55 gal tank. I want to move towards more sensitive/expensive fish (i.e. angelfish, blue rams, etc.) but want to make sure my tank is ready. I tried angels once before already after my tank was cycled and the same thing happened resulting in the loss of all of them. I've thought about the bacteria in a bottle route, but everything I read on that is that it doesn't work well if at all. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott

Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tetra Safe Start has worked well for me. You can also borrow media from a trusted source, or get a small tank going with a fish less cycle and then move the media over (when the cycle is complete) to the other tank when you add the new additions.

David

Tags
bio, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com