Bio Wheel's.....When do you change the filter in a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I have a few other posts on here right now regarding my cycling tank....seems to have gotten a late start for some reason.

Anyway, I have a Penguin BioWheel filtration system. In addition to the obvious wheel, there is a sqaurish filter insert that appears to be a spong-like fabric material on one side, while the other side is a black plastic mesh plastic that sandwiches in carbon.

The first week, the tank ran with no fish.

Beginning week 2, 4 small danios were added and have been in bliss the past 3-4 weeks, bringing my tank lifespan somewhere aroudn 4-5 weeks old. Anyway, I've am experiencing some ammonia issues right now that partial water changes, ammo-lock, tight feeding and cleaning gravel do not seem to be addressing very well.

Perhaps it is the initial Ammo spike I've been waiting for on this new tank, and may go down by itself over the next few days. But then when I was at the lfs, I noticed replacement filters for my wheel as explained above. Directions say to replace every 3-4 weeks. So, since my tank is clearly nearing week 5 and beyond, is it recommended by AA community I go ahead and replace? I read an article that outlines that if water flow is not adequate, the beneficial bacteria may not do its job, hence higher ammonia levels. Well, my filter looks pretty clean, not perfect, and I have only 4 danios, a very underpopulated tank so i highly doubt water flow is an issue.

By removing the square carbon filter and replace with a new one this early in my tanks lifespan, will I screw up the cycle? Will I be starting all over again? I'm assuming there is some bacteria on the 'wheel' itself, but by removing the sqaure filter, amd I decimating the tanks initial bacteria population?

How often do you change filters?

Do not change the filter pad! Honestly, the company that came up with the 3-4 week rule is getting rich. Look at your filter. Does it have a nice growth of bacteria on it yet--I'm betting that it does not. From the many posts I have read here and my own experiences, it is best to rinse the pad in used tank water during a water change when the pad is gunked up. It is best to completely change the pad when it is falling apart :wink: That pad will last you a long time!

Notice the water level behind your pad right now. As your pad gets "gunked up" the water level will rise in attempt to bypass the pad. That's a good time to change it at the latest. When mine get coated 100% I change, not until.

when you guys rinse out the filter pad do you replace the carbon or do you reuse it too? Also does the biowheel itself ever need cleaning or any kind of maintanence or do you leave them alone entirely?

From reading this forum for the past few days I've decided the #1 mistake I made over the past years was cleaning TOO MUCH. I changed the whole filter every 3 weeks or so, scrubbed out the filter box itself, kept everything spotless... little did I know I was washing away the bacteria that kept the ammonia levels at bay. :(

I clean off the lid when the deposits get to be too much. Periodically (every 6 months or so) I remove the suction tube and clean it. I do clean the spray bars about every month, though, as the holes easily clogg.

I don't rinse my filter pads, I just replace them when required. I buy mine at www.foryourfish.com for a pretty good deal.

does the biowheel itself ever need cleaning or any kind of maintanence or do you leave them alone entirely?
Don't clean the bio wheel or you'll remove the bio filter. If the wheel(s) stops turning in normal water flow wipe off the blue bushings at the ends of the axle of the wheel

Back
Top Bottom