Biocube 14 gallon for Freshwater... do-able? How to stock? Too much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttt333

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there -

I have a Biocube 14 gallon saltwater tank that I want to turn freshwater. Is this do-able? There is a lot of flow, which is good for saltwater, but I have heard can blow around freshwater fish and make them unhappy.

So, will the tank work for freshwater AS IS? Second, what can I put in it? I was thinking very basic community (that I could get a Petco) or would some dwarf mbuna chiclids work (from online)? I want something very easy to take care of (tap water, algae control) and I will be breaking down the tank in May and giving away whatever fish are in there, so no need to worry about the fish "growing too big" because they will all be gone then.

Thank you so much. Ive searched the forums but haven't found anything on the biocube 14 that isn't saltwater related.

Oh, and I am not doing live plants just silk.

:thanks::thanks::dance::dance::fish2::fish2:

I wouldn't use a biocube for freshwater.... imo its too expensive and not worth it. 14 gallons isn't very big, so there's not much you can put in it.

Oh I get it, my bad. Well I want to get out of saltwater completely because it has too much maintenance which I don't have time for and is too expensive to keep up every week.. Resale on a used tank is low and its pretty much either it goes empty or I turn it in to some easy to care for low maintenance freshwater tank. :fish2:

Oh I get it, my bad. Well I want to get out of saltwater completely because it has too much maintenance which I don't have time for and is too expensive to keep up every week.. Resale on a used tank is low and its pretty much either it goes empty or I turn it in to some easy to care for low maintenance freshwater tank. :fish2:
My LFS uses those style tanks for FW. You could do some small fish. Otocinclus, Pygmy Cories, and a large school of Neon Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, or Celestial Pearl Danios, there are others too! Ot could be so exciting! Dontr forget alot of shrimp too! If the flow is too much you could put a sponge over the output or something. Good luck and God bless!

Sure you could switch it to saltwater. You will really need to clean the tank because there will be a lot of salty residue. Do a google search about cleaning a tank with bleach. I have not heard of switching sw to fw.

Sw setups are as easy as maintaining fw setup. Are you sure you want to give up on sw?

Wat I did when I turned my 75 sw into fw I emptied up n put it in the lawn n filled it up n let it over fill for 30 min wit the sand in I drained it back up n it was ready

I actually have the 29 gallon version I just set up. Mines going to be heavily planted though. I got it for $25 and used to be a salt water setup. I just scrubbed everything with vinegar, it had white spots, I believe some kind of coral or calcium growth. Soaked the pumps and everything, then soaked the tank in fresh water over night and set it up!
I believe yours has the section in the back too? I filled the filter box with pollyfil and sponges. Then two large sponges in the right and left chamber. I need to figure out how to reduce the flow on those pumps though.

I have the JBJ Nano Cube 12g that's running FW right now. The flow was too much for FW so i changed the water pump to a mini-jet 404.. It has an adjustable flow rate and works perfectly. Im sure it would work in your tank. Check out the photos and YouTube vid i posted in the showoff/photography section here on AA.

I eventually want to get a bigger tank for FW and convert my Nano Cube to SW.

Back
Top Bottom