Bioload question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if you exceed yourbacterias ability to process all the toxins your ammonia will slowly rise to toxic lvls

More information would be helpful: size tank, what fish are in there, water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

20 gallon tall, aqueon 20 power filter with 14 fish, albino BN, 6 bloodfin tetras, 4 corydoras and 2 platys I want to get 1 more platy but don't know if I can

You're about fully stocked now but you could probably squeeze one more Platy in there as long as your water is stable. I don't know what your water change schedule is, but I would do one per week of about 30-50% to keep everything clean (depending on nitrates too; if you have to do larger ones to keep nitrates under 20 then do so). Test your water regularly too; after you add new fish, test it daily for a few days. If it's stable, test it once per week. You could also add another filter to the tank (don't remove the one you have though, just run another with it).

You're about fully stocked now but you could probably squeeze one more Platy in there as long as your water is stable. I don't know what your water change schedule is, but I would do one per week of about 30-50% to keep everything clean (depending on nitrates too; if you have to do larger ones to keep nitrates under 20 then do so). Test your water regularly too; after you add new fish, test it daily for a few days. If it's stable, test it once per week. You could also add another filter to the tank (don't remove the one you have though, just run another with it).

I do 25% water changes weekly plus vacum the gravel

Plus do platys have the same bioload amount close to a bloodfin because I was thinking of putting the bloodfins in my dads 75 gallon and get more and having 5 or 6 platys

if you exceed your bioload - you will have constant problems with your water quality, including high ammonia and nitrite. This is very toxic to the fish.

Other problems include stunted fish growth, increase aggression amongst fish. Low oxygen levels. High nitrate levels. Increase algae growth etc....

I think you should be okay, my 20g tall is a bit overstocked. Just be especially sure you monitor your nitrate levels.

Like Bubble B0y said, there are many problems that can arise from having a very overstocked tank. However, I don't think you should have any problems with just one more platy.

Back
Top Bottom