Bioload question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanMurphy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Another quick question. I've got a 29G with two Aquaclean 30 filters running on it. Currently I have 8 Platys, a single baby pleco, and some MTS that seem to be missing in action right now, haven't seen them in days. I was wondering if it would be overloading the tank to add a small school of guppies, maybe 4 - 6. Guppies and Platys are pretty small, and don't seem like they'd really need a lot of tank estate, but from watching the platy school, I know they certainly seem to poop an awful lot for such small fish.

I know the pleco will get much bigger than he is, and when that happens, he's either retiring to my friend's 60g tank, or is being donated to a lfs which has a behemoth display tank, it's gotta be 200g+.

IMO you would be find adding some guppies. Just be prepared for more guppies soon unless you go all male. LOL.

I've got a male/female mix of platys in the tank right now (2:6 male:female). I'd probably go a little heavier on the males in a guppy addition, but I'd probably still go a mix. I'm not actively breeding them, but if some fry should happen along and I caught it before it became part of the food chain, I'd seperate it into my secondary/hospital tank until it was big enough to re-introduce or to donate to friends' tanks.

Yep. The males will stress the females brutally. I like two females for each male. I also like two female guppies for each male guppy. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom