BiOrb Life, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been drooling over these the last few days and am curious if they live up to that god-awful price. Might consider getting one. I haven't found any on Craigslist or eBay yet.

Haha. They are a weird look, that is true. They literally ripped off the betta condo!

I have read that. I was just wanting a new tank for one of my bettas.

I'm sorry! Good luck to you if you can finally get one!

Having just torn down my wife's Biorb (betta tank) for a normal tank, I can give some feedback on it.

The tank itself was the round version, not the square Life version...but they both use the same filtration.

The way the filter works is a bubbler in the middle pushes water up the lift tube you see in the pictures. This draws water down through the special gravel and up through the filter sponge. The idea is that the bacteria can grow in the filter sponge and in the gravel.

It's an ok idea in theory, but there's a problem. The gravel is too large to be pushed around by a gravel vac...if you could even get one in there. All the fish waste falls down and works it's way deeper and deeper into the large open spaces in the gravel. Eventually it gets so bad under the gravel that the intakes for the filter lift tube get plugged.

The only way to effectively clean this tank is to remove ALL the gravel.

The tank looked great, but it just didn't work long term.

Interesting. Thank you for this. I knew they had weird filters, but this sounds pretty negative.

I think I will get fluval tanks instead.

Back
Top Bottom