BioSpira & Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaLisa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All!
I recently moved my female Bettas from a 5g to a 10g & added some Zebra Danios and BioSpira. Here's my question-- they all seem fine, my tests are registering 0 for nitrites, 0 for ammonia, but 20ppm for nitrAtes. Is this possible? Doesn't there have to be ammonia & nitrItes before nitrAtes can be present? I test every day & they are always at 0.

What's up? Do you usually see this type of thing with the BioSpira? I did transfer the same gravel & filter cartridge to the new tank to keep some of the remaining bacteria supply from the old tank. Do I need a new test kit, or is this okay?

Thanks!

That is the way it should work I think. There was enough bacteria added to almost instantly convert all ites to ates.

Sounds like the Bio-Spira is working properly, and combined with the mature filter, is taking any ammonia/nitrites and inhaling them :)

Since both add the correct nitrifying bacteria, you should not see any ammonia or nitrites; the bacteria converts them and you wind up with nitrates just as you are experiencing. My guess is your tests are working fine :)

I experienced almost the exact same thing... I switched tanks and had a small trace of Nitrites. But my nitrates came up pretty quick. Nitrates are a sign that the nitrogen cycle is working. Bio Spira is in my opinion the best product available for cycling when used correctly, i.e., after the introduction of Ammonia. It works fast. You're tank should be fine...if you are concerened with the Nitrate level, water changes will bring it down since nitrate is fre-floating... But, that's not too high for the fish you have. They'll be fine...

Back
Top Bottom