Biotoping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Betta is going to start sulking. I keep changing the tank set-up on him. I add this lot of plants, then remove those and add another, then change how I have the current subdued etc.

Now, I just found out that a Betta and a Kuhli are natural occupants of the same type of water. I.e. Asian blackwater. Now I'm thinking I could then just set up the tank as a biotope and voila.

So, how hard is it to establish a blackwater setup? I was reading that tannins are necessary to create the tinted water and they can be gotten from drift wood or from a peat filter, but then one has to make sure the ph doesn't bottom out etc. Having the basic newbie mantra of "if the ph, kh, etc are stable, don't mess with a good thing!" stuck in my head, should I start playing with the idea of purposefully changing the set up and my water conditions? Is this something that I should aspire to once I have more than two water changes under my belt?

Back
Top Bottom