Biowheel not moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know what would make a biowheel stop moving? It has a steady and strong flow of water coming out that splashes into the tank. It appears to be level and in there correctly (facing right direction, etc.). It's worked for a couple of months now or more, so I'm baffled as to why it would stop by itself.

I have a Penguin Mini, FYI. Thanks in advance for the help.

Er. This is very unconventional but.. hit it. :p

Whenever I notice a stuck wheel, I just hit it lightly on the top.. and it starts back :p

If the above solution doesn't work, and it probably will, remove the wheel and check the bearings for buildup. Especially if you have hard water. If you have a whitish looking buildup on the bearings, drop the wheel and the cartridge in the tank and give the filter box a good scrubbing with vinegar. An old toothbrush works well for this. Rinse it well and put it all back together.

Its says in the in the owners manual of my penguin 330 w/biowheel that it doesnt have to spin. As long a the water flows across the wheel you get the full benefit.

Oh..thanks everyone for your help. And Austin that is good news, because I have no idea how long my wheel was not turning!

I unplugged the filter and took it out. Removing the parts, I looked down to where the little wheel was. Oh my...yes, there was buildup there of something. I am not sure what, but I will tell you it was slimy. I cleaned it out with just some fresh water and a good shaking or two, then put it back together. Then my wheel began to spin again! Hurrah!

I didn't even realize there were parts in there! hehe That was the blonde and Polish side of me working together, I suppose.

Thanks again everyone! And Happy Holidays!

~Heather

You already solved the problem.

But another common problem is that they get knocked of kilter and, while appearing level..are not.

I usually hit mine first, then push it to make sure its firm against the tank and level. That solves my problems 99% of the time :D

Back
Top Bottom