Birch tree leaves safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are dead and dry birch tree leaves safe for aquarium use? If so how do I got about preparing them for the tank, just boil them then hang them out to dry?

Why would you want to put leaves in your aquarium?

Certain leaves provide beneficial things to your tank such as oak tree leaves and Indian almond leaves. They have to be dead leaves that have fell off the tree though. I don't know if birch tree leaves add anything beneficial to the tank, but I just like the goldish brown colour to the dead leaves on the open sand substrate area I have. They match my rocks and look nice IMO.

You can use Beech leaves, Oak leaves, Indian Almond leaves, and Alder cones. The leaves need to be acidic when they break down which the above 3 types are.

Are those the types that are benificial to your tank? Cause I'm not really looking for leaves that lower my ph and add tannins to the the water I'm more so just looking for small leaves that wont harm my fish for an aesthetic look.

Are those the types that are benificial to your tank? Cause I'm not really looking for leaves that lower my ph and add tannins to the the water I'm more so just looking for small leaves that wont harm my fish for an aesthetic look.

I wouldn't just because there is a possibility they could release a toxin that might harm your fish. The three mentioned have been tested and is why they are used in the aquarium. Idk I wouldn't try it.

I wouldn't try any other types of leaves. Besides the toxin levels that might be there all the leaves are going to do is break down quickly and pollute the tank.

Alright thanks for the feed back ill make sure not to use them! I have an oak tree at my cottage ill have to get some of those leaves this weekend and see how the bigger leaves look in my small tank. Do you need a significant amount to change your water or will just a few leaves make it more acidic?

There is white oak and red oak isn't there? Does it matter what leaves I use I heard one isnt good

There is white, pin, red, and a ton of other species of oak tree's. I've never used oak leaves, I just use the Indian Almond leaves so I'm not sure how fast they will break down in a tank.

There is white, pin, red, and a ton of other species of oak tree's. I've never used oak leaves, I just use the Indian Almond leaves so I'm not sure how fast they will break down in a tank.

Hey Janis how well do almond leaves work in regards to making the water more acidic? I think this actually may help my nesae and cabomba a little bit.

Honestly I don't know how much they would do alone. I use RO and use the Almond leaves and Peat balls for the tannins because the fish I keep like tannin water. I know when I add fresh ones it often sparks spawning in several species. I actually like the way it makes many species of fish color up better and really stand out but it also cuts down on the amount of light that penetrates down to the plants and it's makes non green plants color look slightly different in color.

You can make your own black water extract with almond and oak leaves can you not? Use distilled water boil the leaves then after doing so with multiple leaves filter out debris and it should work. Not sure if the liquid is as benifial as using the actual leaf though. I may do this anyway to extract a lot of the tannins before putting the leaves in my tank so the water doesn't become to acidic, I believe dwarf puffers like hard water rather then acidic.

Back
Top Bottom