Black algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adsila

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I have a 10-gallon aquarium with one fish.. I believe he is a silver tetra. I had him for 9+ years. Doing well, and active. However, there's an aggressive black algae issue on the gravel. I've cleaned the tank, water changes, and the problem still comes back. I haven't tried aquarium chemical cleaners or water conditioners because I don't want to disturb him.

Any recommendations, please! Thank you.
ggMW2QF

Hd85h5r

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 20
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 25
Ah man that’s tough, you don’t want to lose the good bacteria that’s on the gravel but what I would do is trying to clean the gravel with diluted hydrogen peroxide or bleach.

Scoop out the bulk of it soak it for a few minutes then rinse it thoroughly. Then put it back in, that way you don’t lose all your good bacteria.

Then maybe if your water parameters stay normal for a few weeks take out the rest of the affected gravel and so the same thing.

Same with your plants, if they’re effected to.

Ah man that’s tough, you don’t want to lose the good bacteria that’s on the gravel but what I would do is trying to clean the gravel with diluted hydrogen peroxide or bleach.

Scoop out the bulk of it soak it for a few minutes then rinse it thoroughly. Then put it back in, that way you don’t lose all your good bacteria.

Then maybe if your water parameters stay normal for a few weeks take out the rest of the affected gravel and so the same thing.

Same with your plants, if they’re effected to.

Thanks so much for your help!

Also, when I remove the gravel, some of the debris travels throughout the tank and it gets cloudy. Is this safe for my fish?

I am a novice at this aquarium maintenance. :lol:

Are you able to test your water parameters?

On its own debris isnt going to harm your fish. Your filter will just filter it out in a short space of time. If your cleaning is putting dissolved waste into the water eg. excessive ammonia then could be of concern. I would keep an eye on your water parameters and do a water change after your cleaning to bring down the level of any waste should there be any.

I am going to purchase a test kit. I'll get back with you once I completed the process.

Thanks so much!

In my experience the best way to control algae is to get some snails. Ramshorns snails are my favourite but they reproduce quickly. Some people don’t like them but I love having them in my tanks. They also keep your glass clean. You will never have any algae if you have ramshorns or Malaysian trumpet snails. Nerite snails are fine too but they produce allot of waste. Most of these snails are available at the fish store. Sometimes they are free.

Back
Top Bottom