Black Ghost Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amphibianboy528

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone kept these fish before.I heard they like dim lights and only eat black worms and prefer soft waters.Also they ONLY eat live black worms.I would like to put it in my tank with neon,cardinal,and glowlight tetras also some corydoras catfish.

From how you describe it, I would only put one in if your experienced. I've never seen you on AA, so I would'nt know.

If it is a BGK then you will have to be careful with putting anything small in the tank i have had one for over a year and he eats. Frozen brine, flake, frozen blood worms. and most of all feeder guppies. and they can get large. mine is almost 10 inchs long. and have eard they can get up to 18 inchs.

Here are some web sites that might help you lear more about them.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0390&view_records=1
http://species.fishindex.com/species_2899apteronotus_albifrons_black_ghost.html

They are wonderful to have and they are very cool.
:mrgreen:

Here is a pic on mine. this was some time last year when i was feeding him.

yes a blackghost knife fish if you say.
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:51 pm Post subject:

i agree
i had a blackghostknifefish and he would have even my whole tank if i let him

what do you mean by that

okay to just simplize it for me.You can't keep these fish with smaller fish unless they are well-fed,right.Also they have to have some sort of hiding place for them since they are nocturnal.Also anything else you guys can tell me about the mysterious black fish.

Yes i would suggest hiding places for you other fish aswell. my BGK for the most part will eat flake and frozen brine. but i have seen him eat a guppy here and there...mine does good with all the fish he is housed with. one thing i learned not keep a BGK in the same tank as a Red Tailed Shark...they will fight. (O:

and yes the BGK likes hiding spots.. like tubing, mine used to hide out under the heater because it was dark and now he hangs out around the rocks i have in the tank.

that would work iI went down to home depo and got an 8 foot peice of tubing that goes over fluorescent lights $2.50. and cut it up. and then put gravel on it so it was dark enough for him but just enough light for me to see him.

BGK don't only eat live black worms I've fed mine frozen bloodworms and he seems fine with it. Btw does anybody know how fast they grow? Mine is about 3 inches right now.

well,i don't really know.Maybe you should search on the internet and find a site that knows alot about the fish then e-mail him your questions.

bgk's CAN and WILL eat small fish. but this also depends on the size of the fish.and they can be fed a variety of live and frozen foods. btw, if you put one in with the fish you said, when you get up the next morning you will see a lone, fat bgk.

Back
Top Bottom