Black ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 40 gallon, and really want discus, but I know I need at least a 55 and that's cutting it close. It's important to know what size tanks fish need! If you want the black knife fish very badly, you should consider saving up for a bigger tank. You would hate to spend all this money on fish and have them all die off or be very unhappy. I think its important to put fish in a nice natural environment for them to thrive in! Just my opinion

I've kept a BGK in a 55 for months before moving him to a 125 and I don't think I've seen any significant growth. You don't really see big ones being sold in fish stores so if you REALLY want one I'd say go for it and pick out the smallest one you can. Just make sure he has plenty of hiding spaces, they need to feel very secure as they are essentially blind. I recommend a "ghost house" so you can actually see the fish while still having it feel safe. I sometimes forget I have the fish until the lights go out and he becomes the most active fish in the tank lol. But anyway if you do decide to get one I strongly recommend hand feeding him some thawed blood worms as they have a hard time finding food before its eaten by other fish. They also need great water quality with weekly water changes. Mine has gone
Through TWO fish in cycles of new tanks and pulled through like a champ but i would not reccomend this lol. Also if you do happen to find a small one I would definitely not keep a Birchir in there with him. I'm sure in a few months or maybe even a year you'll upgrade to a bigger tank ;)

1 brown knife would be fine in a breeder, they roughly reach 9", a BGK needs 125min as they can reach upwards of 18". I have kept bgk's dozens of different times. 1" a year is total crap. Haha if mine was growing at that rate if be looking into what I was doing wrong.

I'd say a senagal bichir (dragon eel) and a brown knife could work in the breeder. As they both reach the same max size 8-12". But you would have to scratch the leaf fish. All 3 would be a bit cramped and more then likely you would run into aggression problems.

Figure out what you want to be your centerpiece fish and build around that. Its been said hundreds of times on here "google is your friend" google and research what interests you then come asking for opinions/advise. I feel like to many times people who own fish in the topic want to just talk about them and their exsperience with them forgetting we are to advise on best way to house and care for fish, helping both owner and the wet pet to succeed.

+1 to all this especially about the BGK growth rate. I got mine at the beginning of November and he was 3". He's easily close to 6" now

I'd like to mention my ghost knife wasn't a juvi when I get him I should have mention that. It's a huge duh! That juvies grow faster than when they are about 6-7 inches.

1 brown knife would be fine in a breeder, they roughly reach 9", a BGK needs 125min as they can reach upwards of 18". I have kept bgk's dozens of different times. 1" a year is total crap. Haha if mine was growing at that rate if be looking into what I was doing wrong.

I'd say a senagal bichir (dragon eel) and a brown knife could work in the breeder. As they both reach the same max size 8-12". But you would have to scratch the leaf fish. All 3 would be a bit cramped and more then likely you would run into aggression problems.

Figure out what you want to be your centerpiece fish and build around that. Its been said hundreds of times on here "google is your friend" google and research what interests you then come asking for opinions/advise. I feel like to many times people who own fish in the topic want to just talk about them and their exsperience with them forgetting we are to advise on best way to house and care for fish, helping both owner and the wet pet to succeed.

I'd love to have seen your 18inch bgk you've kept a them at least a dozen times. Surly you have a picture!

I think you are going to run into some major issues if you attempt this. You are contemplating cramming a whole lot of large, aggressive, messy fish into a very small space. I foresee water quality issues abound and maybe more than a few territorial scraps with bad outcomes. Ultimately it is up to you and they are all very pretty fish but you need to be able to give them the space to become all the fish that they can be. I think you need to be looking at 100+ gallons (preferably bigger) to keep all these guys. I just don't think a 40g is going to cut it. JMO.

I totally agree with blert , I have four bgnf in a 200g tank I still think that is small they have there own patches in the tank 2x18" and 2x14" there a great fish but if you want to keep them you have to commit dedicate a tank to them and a few fish that like to shoal (large enought to not be seen as food) I have 6 pink kissing gorami in there & a gibbicep and that's it I also run a sump i designed for the tank which is a 50ltr trickle system and constant movement with k1 kaldnes then before returing to the tank it goes through 1 fluval 306 with carbon 1 ehiem 2230 fine filter floss finally back into the tank so they also like excellent water quality live plans are good but you need ones that do not require much light I run my own led system for 4hrs on full beam 6500/7000k the rest on the day I only have 4 of the 32 lights switched on as the bgnf are a night fish if you want to watch them at there best try some blue even a dull green led at night they tend to dance best then !!!

I'd like to mention my ghost knife wasn't a juvi when I get him I should have mention that. It's a huge duh! That juvies grow faster than when they are about 6-7 inches.

And yes, they grow to about 8" in no time at all but even after they slow down they still grow over a inch a year. I think the last one I had got to 10" in just about a year.(from 2") It's all based on genetics as well as water condition.

Aski247 said:

In a 55g could I have
1 brown knife
1leaffish
1 Senegal if I watch for issues and take care to build around the fish?leaffish is middle to top bk is middle to bottom and Bircher is mainly bottom...

I like the 3 as my favorite fish except am Oscar but I have one and will rehome it in a month

I think they would work fine in a 55. Would need hiding places for each of them and probably a few extra wouldn't hurt.

As far as I know leaf fish don't grow that large.4-5". And need plants and driftwood or caves to "ambush" food from.

Should make for a cool oddball tank.

Oh and don't count on the ABK and bichir keeping to one specific. They are both active my bichir used all parts of the tanks. They also gulp air every so often so you will see them in all areas of the tank.

Aski247 said:
I think they would work fine in a 55. Would need hiding places for each of them and probably a few extra wouldn't hurt.

As far as I know leaf fish don't grow that large.4-5". And need plants and driftwood or caves to "ambush" food from.

Should make for a cool oddball tank.

I understand leaffish well but just started with the other two,and btw can I get a tetras or any others with the 3?

Loading... said:
I understand leaffish well but just started with the other two,and btw can I get a tetras or any others with the 3?

I know I would need lager ones because of Bircher and leaffish but could imkeepma school of 3 or something else in here?

Ok so I would do 5tigerbarbs OR could I do a "Leporanos Faciatus" not spelled right but... My dad has one and it good tempered.i would buy all of this small except the barbs!

Aski247 said:
The lepor. Would get to large for a 55. And they have teeth so you wouldn't want them getting nippy with any of the other fish.

Ok so 5-8 tiger barbs
1BGK
1Leaf
1Bicher
Plant floating/planted
Rocks/caves
Anything else?
(Besides basics;))

Back
Top Bottom