Black ghost knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shsean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI i am wondering if i can mix black gost knife with angelfish,tetra and featherfin catfish? ANd any tips on how to keep the fish to live long enough?

I have had mine for a long time. I feed mysis shrimp and beef heart. It is over a foot long now and in with angels, pictus and cory cats, a clown loach and a silver dollar. Tetra may be pushing your luck.

BGKs will, when large enough, will go after small fish like tetras....most of the potential tankmates do not pose any issues, although I have not known anyone to keep a BGK with a featherfin syno, which can be a bit boisterous/aggressive towards other bottom-dwellers.

Thanks

Thanks for all of ur reply... its hard to get help from my country so this forum really helps..By the way, i am wondering. if i can feed black ghost knife with only fish pellets? besides that BGK hv poor eyesight so i am afraid that it might NOT get the food i gave ..so how to curb this matter???

They use electrical fields which guide them. That is also one reason why they should never be kept with other electrical fish such as electric eels or another BGK. That's also why you can put a clear plastic pipe in your tank for it to hide and it doesn't know any different, or hand feed them by using your hands as a tunnel.

They are such neat fish that I want one. Same with Arowanas.

My Black Ghost Knife eats frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp... I have never seen him eat fish flakes.. I know that they will eat what is stuck between the gravel... Mine is ALWAYS checking the bottom of the tank for floating bloodworms.

He get's along with my Bala, Silver Dollars, Gourami's and Pleco.. I have 3 hiding places he uses. If another fish is there he will kindly shove him out of the way... quite funny :)

From what I have also read... they are night owls and are not fond of light... I know mine is out in the day or will hid in his favorite spots...

I honestly don't know how well they can see.. Mine will not eat out of my hand yet but heard they do that.

I don't know if they eat pellets or not. I also am not sure how fast they grow

Elmware2000 said:
They use electrical fields which guide them. That is also one reason why they should never be kept with other electrical fish such as electric eels or another BGK. That's also why you can put a clear plastic pipe in your tank for it to hide and it doesn't know any different, or hand feed them by using your hands as a tunnel.

is the same thing true for other knife fish such as a brown knife or clown knife? can only one knife fish be in a tank? if so, there goes my dream of making a knife tank.

Other than a pleco, what are other great tankmates for the black ghost knife?

this is the fish that got me into fish keeping. although i'm just getting my feet wet with a 10 gal and learning the ropes, getting a bigger tank and a ghost knife is one of my keeping aspirations, but he needs friends right? all the charts i've check out all say that the black ghost knife is only sometimes compatible with most species.

EDIT: nevermind, the answers can be found in a thread in the general discussion forum http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=80853&highlight=black+ghost+knife+tankmates

Back
Top Bottom