Black Ghost Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mynameismud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a Black Ghost Knife for my 75 gallon aquarium and I'm not sure what kind of tankmates i should put in there with him. I like bigger sized fish. Any suggestions???

how big is the BGK? despite them being sold as semi-aggressive fish, they are not, they quickly back down to other fish, and are only labeled as aggressive, because when they grow, will eat neons and smaller fish.

check out myinfo button, and see all the fish i keep with mine. because BGKs hide all day, any fish but african cichlids, and aggressive fish (pirannahs, oscars, puffers) i wont keep with them (ohh, and other electric fish, baby whales, elephant noses, other knives)

one fish i wouldn't get though would be a common pleco, as they systimatically hunt down and devour the bloodworms i feed my BGK

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me

BGK ... great fish. I think that they are a very peaceful fish in my experience with them. Obvisouly have nice tubular places for them to lounge around in. They may get picked on by some fish but they soon learn to back away ... especially once they start to get bigger.

I personally would keep most barbs away from a BGK as my experinece with that combo was not very well liked ... I also found that the the BGK's that i kept also didn't like cory's all that much as well. But that is all dependant ont he personality of the fish.

My BGK is about half a foot in my 75 gallon tank. I was wondering what the chances of a tiger oscar beating on him would be if i raised the oscar in my tank with the BGK? Would this combo be suicide when the oscar got bigger or would he be peaceful?

MIne is very peaceful and only after a couple of months will he come out around in the day and eat bloodworms from my hand . Great fish .

i keep mine with glass cats, corys, clown loaches, angels and von rio tetras

Some people have recommended discus fish to accompany my BGK. Ive always loved the way those fish look but ive never considered them seriously because i hear that they are quite fussy with water conditions etc. too expensive to just risk it. Anything i should know as i begin to consider these fish?

I think just about anything that doesn't nip or can fit in its mouth when it gets bigger, there extremely tame and friendly form my understanding, so tame you can train them to eat from your hands

Yeah an oscar is much too risky for such a peaceful fish. I know in terms of aggression a discus would be alright but i once heard that discus really need ideal water conditions for good health. Are they really that fussy?

yes. i forget who it was, but someone on this site did a study with several discus. he put like 4 in 2 different tanks, and did every other day water changes with one tank, and then like water changes every 5 days or so. in a couple of months, the fish in the every other day pwc were looking good, while the in the other tank, the fish's heads were thin, and they looked a but off, i dont remember the full extent of the details.

hold up, i think it was brianNY, check with him

discus are fussy fish, and i think need to be kept ingroups do establish a balanced pecking order (4 or more fish).

regardless, discus are larger round fish, who wont appreciate having their swimming area taken up by the BGKs caves and hiding spots, especially when the BGK gets large, and needs large hiding spots

i've also seen full grown discus, and think they need a larger fish tank then what the 1gallon inch rule supplies

Back
Top Bottom