Black Ghost Knife - Compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd love to put a black ghost knife in my 55. Everything I've read about them says they're fairly peaceful fish, while there can be a few in the bunch that are nasty.

Given the current stocking list in my signature, would you say I should stay away from a BGK?

Thanks!

I would be worried about it munching your smaller fish. I've never kept one before, but since they can reach more than 12 inches in an aquarium I'm not sure that I'd want my small fish with it.

Just my opinion.

I agree with develishturtles I would not think a BGK will bother your smaller fishes. But the potential size of the bgk can be stunning and there growth rate is fast till they reach a foot then it slows a little I have seen them at almost 18 inches of length in aquariums already. They are a more riggid fish and can have a hard time turnning in tight spots. I presently have one in my 75 gal he has been growing at about a 1/2 inch a month. They are not combative but rather very shy and it takes a fair amount of time for them to warm up to there surroundings and movement outside the tank. If you can make a deal with your lfs to bring it back when it is larger then go for it. But if you cannot I would not risk it because these fish can get very personable and it would be like putting a good freind were they do not want to be. Oh and also they require very good water quality so be prepared for lots of pwcs.HTH

I had an african black knife and when I had to give him up it broke my heart but he needed a bigger home fast so I did the best thing for him. I took him to a local pet store and they sold him pretty fast. Some guy with a 75 gall got him for a companion to his other knives. I will miss him he loved being petted and handfed, but he is in a bigger better home for his wellbeing so thats all that matters really.

So are you guys trying to tell me that a 55 is too small for a BGK?

I know they get big.

IMO is it's to small. I've had them in a 75g planted and they out growed that tank in amater of 6 to 8 months. Mine reached 13'' in under 8 months. Again IMO they need at least a 100g or 90g tank.

Well, honestly, if i had to give it away in a year or so i'd be happy with that. $20 a yaer for a new ghost doesnt seem too bad.. they're just such cool fish.

Yes to me they are one of the coolest fish out there. The way mine would eat out of my hand. He or she LOL would lay in the plam of my hands. Just hang out for awhile and then take off. He'd even whatch me nd fellow me around the room when He was ready to eat. But he grow so fast. I gave him to a buddie of mine and he's now 15'' in a 110g tank.

Back
Top Bottom