Black Ghost Knife question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ghost knife and he seems to be doing very well. I feed him a few shrimp pellets throught the week and he likes flakes too. I read that they really like frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. I bought some but they don't fall to the bottom for him to feed on. Is there a method to getting this stuff to the bottom of the tank for him?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I would really appreicate any help.

I have looked into the prospect of getting a ghost knife. I was told that with blood worms you should put the fresh chunk of frozen worms into a small dish of water until they thay and break apart. Then you can take a turkey baster and suck them up with the water solution and squirt them into the tank.

haha yea u gotto defrost.
don't know about the turkey baster, sounds like a lot of work for nothing. Just pour them straight in there. plus the blood in the water will get any american cich. going nuts

Matt.

Great! Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the baster method to see if it works. I was worried that my Mollies etc. would eat them before they got to the bottom of the tank.

just out of curiosity how big is the tank. i am sure that u know how big they get, what else do you have in there with him? i kept mine in a 20 gallon for a while untill he was about 5 inches then had to return him to the lfs becasue i didnt have the money for a bigger tank. they are by far the most facinating fish i have ever owned.

I have had my BGK for many years. One other food you might want to look into is Beef Heart...mine loves it.

With my BGK, I do that turkey baster method, but the only difference on what I do is that, I just use syrange(however you spell that) and suck up the bloodworms and litterly stick my arm in my tank, and move the tip of the syrange in front of him so that he knows it is there and eats from the syrange, it is really neat. Once he gets a good amount, then I just spray the rest in the tank for the rest of my fish.

I also feed mine live nightcrawlers too. Cause I have to feed my fire eel live nightcrawlers. So when I am running low on bloodworms, I just cut up one peice of worm from what I am feeding my fire eel into really small peices. Which I really don't like doing cause I feel sorry for the worms, but it is apart of the foodchain, you get the animal you have to meet it needs.

I have one in my 20gal. I'm trying to find a home for him. I really love him, but i can't keep him in my 55gal because my bichir already bite off the end of his tail :( I don't think my LFS will take him back, because of it. He is all healed up. So. if anyone is interested in a free BGK and lives in Colorado let me know. :(
Edit:
woah! I just got an email from someone at the local fish society asking what morning to pick him up. Haha yay!

I have a 46 gallon tank and he seems to have plenty of room etc. I am going to take your tips on the baster method for blood worms.

Thanks for the tips!

just as a side note, i use a 20CC syringe after i let the cube thaw in some warm water i suck it up and squirt it in the tank.

We used to have a black gohst in an 85 gal when I was a kid he used to love tubiflex worm they come freeze dried in cackes and you take them and press them against the glass and they stick. You will love your ghost we used to be able to reach in the tank and you would make a C shape with your hand and he would swimm right in you could pet him to he was great he got to about 16 inches long then we had to move and the tank broke in the process so we had to give him away :( but in the spring when I set up my 120 gal I will have one once again enjoy your ghost.

I read somewhere that most usually get to be about 12" in aquariums, but most websites say 20" max. I have also heard about them getting up to 4ft in the wild 8O

Back
Top Bottom