Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-29-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,377
Black Ghost Knife Tankmates.

I know Black Ghost can get a foot long but I am not doing planning right now what can happen in like three years or five years because they are very slow growers and I will rehome my blackghost before I see him overgrowing the tank.

My Black Ghost is about 5 inch long and I read after like 8 inches it grows very very slowly. I have Angels and a small pearl Gourami and want to add more fish to my tank. I was thinking about black neons or red eye tetras.

Will I be fine adding them with Ghost or if the ghost will go after them? I am talking about a 5 inch Ghost or suppose it grows to like 8 inches in coming few months. Can I keep these small fish with them.

If No then please suggest what I can put which won't harm Ghost and also Ghost won't harm him. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Enthusiast
 
abw0004's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 751
I would honestly get rid of him now. It is like people who get puppies but know they can't take care of them for a full lifetime so they get puppy now and then plan on dropping him off at a shelter in 4 years. At that time it is harder for him to get adopted because he is full grown. You would be doing a disservice to your fish keeping him in a tank that is already too small for him, and giving him up when he is at an age where most people will not want him as they want juveniles. If you really want him, get a bigger tank.

I know it is hard to give up a fish you LOVE, but you have to remember your fish has a life as well, and if you truly love your fish, you would want him to be happy right? I had the same issue when I first started. Broke my heart to give up some of my fish but I knew I was doing the right thing.
__________________

__________________
My Aquarium Rebuild


WAR EAGLE
abw0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by abw0004 View Post
I would honestly get rid of him now. It is like people who get puppies but know they can't take care of them for a full lifetime so they get puppy now and then plan on dropping him off at a shelter in 4 years. At that time it is harder for him to get adopted because he is full grown. You would be doing a disservice to your fish keeping him in a tank that is already too small for him, and giving him up when he is at an age where most people will not want him as they want juveniles. If you really want him, get a bigger tank.

I know it is hard to give up a fish you LOVE, but you have to remember your fish has a life as well, and if you truly love your fish, you would want him to be happy right? I had the same issue when I first started. Broke my heart to give up some of my fish but I knew I was doing the right thing.
I already gave up my most beloved fish but I never said I am going to give him back to store or to someone for adoption. I said I will provide him a new bigger home and that home I am planning but can get next year. 125+ gallons as I also wants to house a fire eel and both Ghost and fire are nice companions. I was asking for the time being.
__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 20
I have a fully grown GKF with neons and he doesn't bother them. Just don't feed him anything alive. I like to mix up Ken's shrimp sticks, earthworm sticks and blood worms
__________________
fishguy138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy138 View Post
I have a fully grown GKF with neons and he doesn't bother them. Just don't feed him anything alive. I like to mix up Ken's shrimp sticks, earthworm sticks and blood worms
By fully grown you mean how much length?

I read in a forum where GKF killed mollys and platies and was very surprised how he take down a molly. Mollys are big enough.

Anyways, I never feed mine any live food ever. I keep him well fed to suppress his predatory instinct as a precaution and mine is very peaceful and mind its on business. He likes bloodworms, sticks and krill. I always feed him freez dried so he has no experience of chewing meat as well. I will keep him on packaged foods always.

Please confirm by fully grown you mean how big he is.
__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 20
Black Ghost Knife Tankmates.

[ATTACH]297077He is about 14" hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1985.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	297077  
__________________
fishguy138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy138 View Post
[ATTACH]297077He is about 14" hope that helps
He is very pretty. 14 inches or 14 centimeters?
__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 20
He is about 14 inches
__________________
fishguy138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy138 View Post
He is about 14 inches
Thanks. Very big. You ease my mind. I think people who have such bad experience feed there Ghost live food or there Ghost not raised with small fish maybe. I read two school of thoughts. Some say who raised there Ghost witj small fish he doesn't see them as food but some strongly disagree but you eased my mind. I can try with black neons since they are large than neons.
I hope everything stays good.
__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
crystalbettas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy138 View Post
[ATTACH]297077He is about 14" hope that helps


wow! he's beautiful. i can't wait for mine to start to grow. he was the smallest one at the store. he's adorable. he's only a couple of inches long now and hides for the most part, but he seems to have taken to my catfish and they sort of hang around together now. i've always loved black ghost knife fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6102.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	297183  
__________________
🐠🐢🦎🐶🐹
crystalbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kashif314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbettas View Post
wow! he's beautiful. i can't wait for mine to start to grow. he was the smallest one at the store. he's adorable. he's only a couple of inches long now and hides for the most part, but he seems to have taken to my catfish and they sort of hang around together now. i've always loved black ghost knife fish.
Very beautiful. Small ones tend to be more shy but if u have some place for him to hide then he will eventually come out and swim around. Mind stayed hidden for three days and now very comfortable and swim even in lights on.
__________________

__________________
kashif314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, black, black ghost knife, ghost, mate, tan, tank, tankmate, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Ghost Knife Tankmates aquamami8326 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 25 12-20-2014 11:43 PM
African Brown Knife vs Black Ghost Knife fish?m vanimal Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 11 07-16-2012 12:08 PM
Black Ghost Knife Compatibility MicroFish Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 20 03-30-2012 12:49 PM
aba knife n ghost knife dom Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 09-16-2008 06:39 AM
Compatibility - Black Ghost Knife and Crabs bubo Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 10-01-2003 05:40 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.