Black Ghost Knifefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drake

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a black ghost knifefish and he lives in a 29 gallon tank with a bristlenose pleco. I have had him for about 8-10 months and he is know around 10 inches. When I got him he was only around 4 inches. I use a Marineland bio-wheel filter and keep the temp around 80 degrees. I feed him just about anything he will accept. This include freeze-dried krill, brine shrimp, tubifex, plankton, frozen bloodworms, and beefheart. I tried to feed him guppies once but he payed no attention to them. I was wondering if anybody knows what else is good to feed them or how to get them to eat live foods.

why would you want the hassle of having to feed live food? Most people work at getting their fish to accept frozen.

Its more fun to watch them eat live food instead of frozen. And in most cases its better for them.

actually, it isnt better for them if you consider the risk of disease you bring to the tank every time ou add live feeder fish. I have had my BGK for 4 years and he has never eaten live foods.

adding feeder fish is fine so long as you are the one raising the feeder fry (and it should be fry you are feeding it)
i agree that purchasing "feeder fish" from your LFS can cause a lot of problems. best to buy regular old guppies and breed them. then you will have a strong source of fry to feed your BGK

I agree with Serlunchbox.... I raise my own Platys and feed my BGK a few periodically...but only little ones, not full grow ones.

"And in most cases its better for them. "

says who? i own multiple large fish (3 oscars, 14in pleco, 11in clown knife) and rarely if ever feed them feeders. they all have great color and never look sick. my first 2 oscars and my first clown knife died because of internal infections more than likely cause by being fed LFS feeders.

I have two clown knifefish, which one is about 16 inches the other is about 12 inches. They both seem to be doing fine on feeders. I also feed them night crawlers that you can get form walmart or a tackle store.

Also had do you know for sure that your first clown knife died from internal infections or parasites?

"Also had do you know for sure that your first clown knife died from internal infections or parasites? "

because a close friend of mine works at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA as a biologist and i had him cut it open and inspect it.

Back
Top Bottom