Black Ghost KnifeFish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tukie2kie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just starting to think about gathering materials to set up a large fw tank and I am thinking of getting some Black ghost KinfeFish, but I don't know much about them.

Any one ever keep them before? Or know what they would be compatible with.

Also I really like the looks of this Black and White Shark I saw in a tank at my lfs but i know they get really big. I think they were called a Black Banded Shark or something.

I am looking at getting a 55 gal tank (finding several setups locally on craigs list for under 100bucks)

any advice would be great, as well as suggestions for a large fw tank

despite what websites say, these fish can get up to 2 feet long, should only be fed frozen or live food, due to flakes lacking adequate protein, and should not be kept with other electrical fish, including other BGKs.

while i have never seen reports of them growing to 2 feet hin the wild, it is likely they will reach about a foot in captivity. these fish are voracious eaters, and may eater smaller fish/shrimp if not fed properly (i lost 5 shrimp in a night before)

the 55 gallon is too small for these fish, while mine currently lives in a 55 gallon, he is still small, and i intend to get a 125 gallon tank this summer/fall

So they shouldnt live with others of their own species than?

No other BGK's, or other species of knife fish either. They are generally alright with other species of non-aggressive fish that aren't small enough to be eaten.

Tukie2kie said:
So they shouldnt live with others of their own species than?

Correct

Mine is in a 120gal, he'll even eat out of my hand. Only eats tubifex worms, blood worms, freeze dried earthworms, shrimp pellets though. I have several other fish with him, check my info. He's only ever eaten one fish (that I can account for), and it was a dieing cardinal tetra.

Hmm so maybe this guy really isnt something I should think about getting, im sure it will all depend on what size of a tank I can get- its looking more like a 55gal but 75 could be an option as well.

What are some suggestions for a 55gal to 75gal freshwater tank, i want some sort of community tank and obviously with a bigger tank I have more options.

What would be some good combiniations for a new 55gal or larger fw tank

i believe BGKs relatives the elephant nose and african brown knife stay smaller, but look into it

toddnbecka said:
No other BGK's, or other species of knife fish either.

I don't agree with that. I have my BGK in with african knifes. I believe what you are trying to say is: don't keep BGK's with other fish that use electrical signals to find it's food or way around?

i was under the impression that african knives where electrical fish. I've heard that in some cases, electriacl fish will tolerate another electrical fish given they were introduced to each other young enough

I don't think it has to do with tolerance of other elictrical fish, I think it has to do with their brainwaves interfering with one anothers, troubling them in finding food, cover, general comfort etc.

Back
Top Bottom