Black knife fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brotherd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am considering a few of these for a 90 gal.What other species would be compatable?What is the natural environment for these fish?Would Clown Loaches be ok?I am just starting to collect info now.This species is very available where I am and I am intrigued.Any info is appreciated.Thanks! :wink:

They are pretty good fish as long as you don't keep them with anything nippy or too agressive. I had mine for about two months before our pacus knocked his rock cave over onto him =( I got rid of the pacus and might be getting one again soon. Also don't keep them with anything that's not bigger that the ghost knife. They picked off 5 of my girlfriends male guppies.

Well they are carnivorous, so would eat anything smaller.

PS I have also done a little more indepth research and found that one of the recommended tank mates is the OSCAR 8O

i wouldn't keep more than one in a tank. they use electrical pulses to navigate and when more than one are in a tank, they interfere with each other.

i think clown loaches would work just fine.

From what I've heard they are usually friendly unless bothered in which case they can easily kill/harm other fish in the tank with their electrical pulses.. They also like that tube you can buy for them.

My knife ate the eyeballs out of 2 fish I had quarrantined with him. He only eats live food/frozen food.

I have a ghost knife in with my gouramies and 2 rams, a longnose loach and a butterfly. He is very friendly with my pecosomus and hangs out of the end of the tube to be near him. I just added a clown knife that was getting beat up in our aggressive tank.

That last post was a mistake. I don't know what happened. I actually wrote something and it didn't show up. Strange. Black Ghost are really neat. They suck up blood worms like noodles. They need a 7.0 - 6.5 ph or they are very lathargic. 6.5 is better in my opinion. Warm slow moving water and lots of hiding spaces. They are very cool fish.

I have had my BGK for about 3 years, he is well over a foot long. As was previously mentioned, you should only keep one per tank. Mine is very docile and has never bothered any of the other fish I have. There are discus, angels, gourami, silver dollar, rosy barbs, pictus cats, cory cats, oto cats and a ram and black skirt tetra in with him....(before anyone starts freaking out over an overcrowded tank, it is a 150).

Anyway, he has always enjoyed beef heart, kidney, mysis shrimp and bloodworms. I have never had to feed him live food and have had him since he was 3 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom