black kuhli loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure how to read your post above. Forgive me if I "got it" wrong.

The number of bottom feeders you can have shouldn't really have anything to do with the amount of filtration the tank has. It has everything to do with the amount of space you are offering each species. Overcrowding should be avoided at all costs. :)

They'll be fine IMO. I wouldn't add anything else but you've made it clear you aren't planning to do so anyway.

I just checked and I actually have two AC 50's on this tank which rounds out to 400 gph of filtration. I have a friend with a 55 gallon and virtually no bottom feeders I could rehome to, however I do have a lot of plants and driftwood so I am going to give it a try. This is the absolute last addition to this tank. The shrimp are virtually non-existent. The pleco stays to the sides or under the driftewood. And the cories stick together.
Oh that's great, 2 AC 50's is much better for a 29. :)

Yes I am absolutely done stocking this tank. I am not adding anything else at all. I wasn't going to get anything else but kept reading about others kuhli loaches and then I saw them, on sale...

But... We might be moving and if we have the space when we move I want to transfer everything from this tank to my 55. No room to set up the 55 at our current place, but if the house we are looking at works out I should be able to. Then this 29 can be used for another snake. Haha.

So I lost one of the loaches. I found it in the intake tube of my filter when I was doing my weekly cleaning. I am not sure if he had something going on prior, or maybe if he got stuck and died in the filter, but I am not going to over analyze it, Sometimes fish just don't acclimate well.

However, the other two are pretty active and healthy! They spend the days burrowing underneath the driftwood and are most active in the evenings and first thing in the morning. The other tankmates don't seem to be bothered by them either. My kids love the "snake fish". Aside from the one that was lost I really think I am finally happy with this tank and its current stock. It seems well balanced and everyone is settling in and getting along well.

ashleynicole said:
So I lost one of the loaches. I found it in the intake tube of my filter when I was doing my weekly cleaning. I am not sure if he had something going on prior, or maybe if he got stuck and died in the filter, but I am not going to over analyze it, Sometimes fish just don't acclimate well.

However, the other two are pretty active and healthy! They spend the days burrowing underneath the driftwood and are most active in the evenings and first thing in the morning. The other tankmates don't seem to be bothered by them either. My kids love the "snake fish". Aside from the one that was lost I really think I am finally happy with this tank and its current stock. It seems well balanced and everyone is settling in and getting along well.

Sorry to hear about your loach :-( about a year ago when I first got my yo-yo loaches, I had 5 and for about a week one disappeared I just thought maybe he had found a really good place to hide....... Then when I went to do a pwc I thought (for some strange reason) that I would take the filter apart and clean it in some tank water and low and behold there was the 5th missing loach still alive and living in the filter. Idk why they do that it's never happened again but now I know if one ever goes missing again where to look!!

Thats too bad! I am sorry about your fish snake.
These loaches are so skinny and curious that they are known to sometimes swim into the filters and get stuck.
Good to hear that your others are doing well though!

yeah I can see how they could slide into the intake tube and make their way into the filter, maybe get stuck. I may put some 'panty hose' over the intake tube or something. I have found a few ghost shrimp dead in the intake tube as well. It makes me wonder if they died first and then got sucked up, or if they got into the intake tube and then died.

Back
Top Bottom