Black Kuhli Loaches and Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IERTOI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased 4 Black Kuhli Loaches for my tank. They are very cool and to be honest I am quite fascinated. When first introduced to my tank, they seem to be quite lethargic, maybe getting used to the new enviroment. Now, they are completely energetic and swimming all around the entire tank lol. Is this normal? I have seen videos where they stay close together in a schooling type way, but the 4 of them have not spent much time close together :(

Any ideas or personal experiences with these?

:)

No experience with them but, are those the only fish in the tank?

No experience with them but, are those the only fish in the tank?

For right now they are with Albino Cory Cats. I plan on add more to this tank soon after finishing a different lol..

From what I know, and have learned from people on this forum, fish won't school unless there is a threat to them of some sort, like a natural predator. The corys don't seem like too much of a threat, IMO. How big is your tank?

My black loaches were CRAZY! The swam around ALL day and night, I don't even know if they slept. They would take hot laps around the bubblers and constantly pester the snail and corys. Highly entertaining fish!
I did make a little rock house for them, since they do like to rest in the dark, and that was "their" spot, no one elses.
If you think 4 are crazy, add 2 more. ;)

I have three striped ones and they act the same as you are describing. As soon as I open the lid to feed the tank they start going crazy, pacing back and forth.

Just to reiterate what Darby said, they do need a dark spot to sleep/hide under. Mine really like wrapping themselves around my anbuias nana leaves. They do not school like tetras do, but usually they hang out together.

From what I know, and have learned from people on this forum, fish won't school unless there is a threat to them of some sort, like a natural predator. The corys don't seem like too much of a threat, IMO. How big is your tank?

Ok well then that is good that there is not a threat of some sort lol! My tank is 25-27 gallons, I can not remember exactly. It is a Marineland Cube something something lol. Thanks a lot!

My black loaches were CRAZY! The swam around ALL day and night, I don't even know if they slept. They would take hot laps around the bubblers and constantly pester the snail and corys. Highly entertaining fish!
I did make a little rock house for them, since they do like to rest in the dark, and that was "their" spot, no one elses.
If you think 4 are crazy, add 2 more. ;)

Very exciting! I do have a few structures for them to hide under so that is a good thing. I definitely agree though, very entertaining fish lol :)

I have three striped ones and they act the same as you are describing. As soon as I open the lid to feed the tank they start going crazy, pacing back and forth.

Just to reiterate what Darby said, they do need a dark spot to sleep/hide under. Mine really like wrapping themselves around my anbuias nana leaves. They do not school like tetras do, but usually they hang out together.

Thanks for the response. I am glad to hear that you have similar ones that act the same. I also have one anubias plant that was planted two days ago. Very cool :)

Back
Top Bottom