Black molly fin and tail color change? Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
My all black male molly that I've had for about 4 months now has started to look rather peculiar lately. His tail has started to gradually turn a bright gold color, and his top fin has done the same, almost like he has highlights. I'm not really too concerned about this, but I just wanted to confirm that this is normal. I hope so, because it is very pretty. I don't have any clear pics of him, but I could get some if necessary.

Pics are always nice. It sounds like your molly may have some golddust molly in him and now that he's matured the color has come out.

Cichlid Kid said:
Pics are always nice. It sounds like your molly may have some golddust molly in him and now that he's matured the color has come out.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image-3501185289.jpg
    image-3501185289.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 312
  • image-3586230074.jpg
    image-3586230074.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 284
Hi there. Has the fish survived the colour change ok?

My black male Molly has recently changed the colour of the tail and top fin to bright orange. I'm a bit worried.

From my experience this color change is quite normal once they settle in and mature... It may even be a desired characteristic

what am I doing?

Black mollies seem to be prone to getting a bit of gold highlights on them. I have had black mollies with a gold tint to the edge of their black scales, with gold on their fins, and have had dalmatian mollies go black with silver highlights. I had some offspring from my line of black and gold mollies turn into wild type. As they get older their coloring can change quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom