Black Molly Genetics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HeatherW said:
well I am definitely not an expert, but my black molly is doing just fine. got her on 4 jan, she had babies on 5 jan, and looks like she must have just had another batch this morning. I picked her intentionally because I thought she might be pregnant. she seems pretty hardy to me. but maybe I am just lucky. I will let you know how things continue...

Oh good! :)
My 5 mth old juvie Dalmatian Molly is bigger and thicker than my Black Molly..

Just a note, if you got your mollies from different stores in the area, they may still all been from the same whole-seller. Lots of stores use the same places to order fish from, especially stores near each other. I don't know if that is the case or not, just a thought. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Just a note, if you got your mollies from different stores in the area, they may still all been from the same whole-seller. Lots of stores use the same places to order fish from, especially stores near each other. I don't know if that is the case or not, just a thought. :)

That is true and would make sense, like I was saying if you want the best stock and genetics buy from a local breeder.

Mogurako said:
That is true and would make sense, like I was saying if you want the best stock and genetics buy from a local breeder.

That will be next after the mess I've gone thru with fish! :)

You can have some of my babies! For real! I honestly don't know what I am going to do with them when they get bigger

HeatherW said:
You can have some of my babies! For real! I honestly don't know what I am going to do with them when they get bigger

Where do you live?? Lol
Edit:: ah Virginia... Have you ever shipped before?

I took a look at my lfs and no one really had any fully black mollies. I went out of town and finally saw some. They were big and healthy, they also had real pretty brown/chocolate mollies, too.

Starka said:
I took a look at my lfs and no one really had any fully black mollies. I went out of town and finally saw some. They were big and healthy, they also had real pretty brown/chocolate mollies, too.

I've seen SOME thicker black mollies but it seems more rare... Must be healthier genetics...
Wow Chocolate? Neat!!

ocminpin said:
I've seen SOME thicker black mollies but it seems more rare... Must be healthier genetics...
Wow Chocolate? Neat!!

They had a whole tank with all sorts of chocolate mollies speckled, solid, and tan. I'm thinking that it is their more natural coloring?
Its my new favorite store. :)

ocminpin said:
Vixen today... All spunky, hunting for any leftover fry I may have missed.. Trust me Vixen, there are none!

I see she has a bit of a baby bump protruding..

Awww can't wait for more babies!
By the way at what age do you sell them?

Starka said:
Awww can't wait for more babies!
By the way at what age do you sell them?
yes! I want my first batch of black!
The LFS will take them at 1 1/2"...
I'd sell them before that privately if there was an interest..

HeatherW said:
How long does it take you to get them to that size? Mine are a month old now

3 mths old is when my Dalmatians reach 1- 1 1/2"
Unfortunately with my mass loss last month I never got to see my Creamsicles or Silvers grow to sellable...

Starka said:
How long have you been breeding?

Got my first tank (in Years) on Sept 5, 2011 and first batch born Sept 9th ....
I've had 11 batches I was able to save and have missed 6-7...
5 female mollies & 1 female platy

I'll be going down to my new fav. Lfs this weekend and see if I can get you some pics of those brown mollies. :)

Starka said:
I'll be going down to my new fav. Lfs this weekend and see if I can get you some pics of those brown mollies. :)

THANK YOU!!! While you're at it, get me one and ship him to me.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom