Black Molly is hiding from me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangelover77

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a week ago I got a black Molly and I am really worried about him. He doesn't eat hardly at all and he hides from me all the time! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395273900.377269.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395273994.266796.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395274024.646725.jpg

2 Glofish tetra, and 3 Platy. Do you think getting another Molly would help?

Well maybe, Molly's tend to be very social. Have you looked at him? Dose he look skinny? Cloudy eyes? Ick?! If he looks good, give him time to acclimate. He may just need time to get comfy.

No. Mollies need a bigger tank. At least 20 gallons, preferably 30. They are very messy. Your glofish are also schooling fish, and should be in a group of 5-10, which requires a larger tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He looks perfectly fine. You think moving him to my 55g tank would help? I was told he would be absolutely fine in my tank.

Also told that as long as there was two or more Glofish they would be fine. This is my first time with Glofish.

IMHO, a lot of the information given from fish stores is very misleading. I tend to check things on www.liveaquaria.com to get a basic idea of requirements before bringing anyone home with me.
I am also a total fish nerd and have multiple books on the subjects..... :)

I personally have a 29 gallon glofish tank.... they can get mean when not in a school. And in a smaller tank. I started them in a 10 gallon and it was NOT a good idea. They are just GM Black Skirt tetras, so look up the requirements of those to give yourself an idea.

Thank you! I'm trying so hard with these fish. I'm used to Platy and guppies. I think my Platy are pregnant now. Would you be able to tell? I've never had pregnant Platy.

Your fish should be absolutely fine in that tank. Unless there isn't enough aeration and filtration. Have you tested for ammonia?

If you have a larger tank available with suitable tank mates, I would move it over. If not, honestly see if you can return it. They get very wasteful.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395286951.621276.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395287022.749814.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395287070.420007.jpg First is Mickey, second is Sunny, and third is scarlet. If you need better pics lemme know.

As far as I can see, they are all females. Scarlet definitely looks pregnant, and the other 2 most likely are if they were kept in a mixed gender tank at the store. Livebearers can store sperm for several months, and keep impregnating themselves with it.

Back
Top Bottom