Black molly losing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had two black mollies. The female just died which is sad because she was a sweetheart and it was surprising because she was healthy but now my male is starting to lose his black and getting silver all over but it's splotchy. Anyone know what this could be?

So I had two black mollies. The female just died which is sad because she was a sweetheart and it was surprising because she was healthy but now my male is starting to lose his black and getting silver all over but it's splotchy. Anyone know what this could be?

I have black mollies with a bit of silver/white and I think if they fight there will be a new silver patch but I've never managed to quite confirm. It is definitely not all over the fish if it happens.

Can you post a pic? Is it growing over the scales? I assume water specs are ok?

All of my mollies I've owned started out Dalmation and turned completely black as they aged

I had this issue with my mollies too as they started to get older. I am assuming that you are feeding flake foods, if you are, try feeding frozen and fresh. Before my old molly died and I was feeding them nothing other than flakes, she had this issue too. Anyway, she had babies before she died and I have since started to feed them frozen (about $6.00 a pack at the lfs) and fresh veggies. Since then, I haven't seen anything of this sort in this litter of mollies as they have started to age as well.
The fresh veggies they eat is not limited really. I feed mine, zucchini, green squash and avocado (that is their FAVORITE). They will also eat fruits. I buy a batch and will cut it up and freeze it. It holds for a few months in the freezer. Take a few peices out 3 times a week, put it in a cup of water and put it in the microwave for a min. Take the pieces out and dab them with a paper tower. This will allow them to sink.
I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom