Black molly turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is your water quality?

Ammonia, Nitrite and NitrIte, pH?

What other fish do you have in the tank?

Mollies, like some (aquarium safe) salt in their water.

What is your water quality?

Ammonia, Nitrite and NitrIte, pH?

What other fish do you have in the tank?

Mollies, like some (aquarium safe) salt in their water.
I checked the other day and Ammonia was 10 nitrite was 8 and nitrate was 3 I have mollies and corydoras in this tank I add a teaspoon of aquarium safe salt once a month I vacuum the substrate twice a week and do a 20% water change she is completely normal acting she's still active she still eats her normal amount and still hangs out with another female she seems to enjoy.

Any nitrite is highly damaging if not toxic to the fish. Some can die from internal damage a couple weeks after exposure /damage is done.

Do water changes until the NitrItes are 0. Even .25 is dangerous.
Nitrite Poisoning - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

This tank is not cycled and the way to help keep the fish from dying /being damaged, suffering from toxic levels is to get their environment safe again, with water changes, and can be aided with a water treatment like Prime which neutralizes unsafe ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (as well as chlorine and Chloramine).

Any nitrite is highly damaging if not toxic to the fish. Some can die from internal damage a couple weeks after exposure /damage is done.

Do water changes until the NitrItes are 0. Even .25 is dangerous.
Nitrite Poisoning - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

This tank is not cycled and the way to help keep the fish from dying /being damaged, suffering from toxic levels is to get their environment safe again, with water changes, and can be aided with a water treatment like Prime which neutralizes unsafe ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (as well as chlorine and Chloramine).
The tank has been running for 6 months it fully cycled 3 months ago I had a problem about a month back when I had to go out of town for a bit but the tank is getting back in track

If there is nitrIte there is something wrong with the cycle.

Did you replace the filter pad /media or clean it in not dechlorinated water? Change the substrate recently? Use medication which kills beneficial bacteria?

If there is nitrIte there is something wrong with the cycle.

Did you replace the filter pad /media or clean it in not dechlorinated water? Change the substrate recently? Use medication which kills beneficial bacteria?
While I was away my caretaker spilled almost a whole bottle of melafix into the tank, but the molly has been changing since I got her almost 5 months ago

Guessing you have done a number of water changes to dilute that Melafix mishap.

Keep monitoring the water quality yo make sure it remai s in a safe zone, and do pwc's if it is mot safe.

Keep doing the water changes until safe again.

Many fish which have a marvle or speckled coloring can continue to change while maturing. Gf, Bettas, and Mollies.

Watch for Ich. Speckles can look similar.

Clamped fins, lethargy, and hiding alone, not eating, are all signs the fish doesn't feel well.
Watch and see if the whiter places on the fishes body look grey tan, fuzzy or peeling also illness signs.

Back
Top Bottom