Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Black moor goldfish

Hi, I am a new goldfish owner, as my relative bought a baby black moor and kept it in a goldfish bowl, not taking care of it, I angrily took over care for him and put him in a 10 gallon i had, but i knew i needed to upgrade, i just now bought him a 29 gallon.

he's a little over 2 inches long including tail, i'm using a Tetra Whisper EX45 Power Filter with 240 GPH flow rate. and a small bubble wall. I just upgraded him today from a 10 gallon tank. So i have my old Topfin10 HOB filter on it too for now.

Is this a good set up for him? Iím going to need to do weekly water changes, correct?

I also have one main problem with him, i've had him for 2 months now and heís doing great but I think he struggles eating, he seems to never see the food when I put it in the tank but I see him nibble on the ground so i assume he gets the food eventually from the ground. I started with flakes but then tried floating granules, that didn't work, they were way too big and then heard about swim bladder disease, so stopped using those. Then yesterday i bought small sinking granules, hoping that will work best, or if anyone has any suggestions?

One last question.. iím sorry.. lol.. Would i ever be able to add another (visually challenged) goldfish to this tank? or is it too small?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd hold off on another fish imo until you get this tank and fish stable. A suggestion I'd add would be to pick up a water chemistry test kit. Congrats on taking on looking after this fish (keen for photos, always enjoyed black moors!).

Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Black moor goldfish

It sounds like you're doing a great job!

As said by Delapool, you may want to buy a water testing kit because that will allow you to be able to know how often you need to change the water.

I am not sure that two fancy fish would fit in a 29 gallon full size, but maybe a fantail as they are smaller than other types. But I would wait until you have had this one a little longer.

I'm not sure about his feeding. Have you tried hand feeding him?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is the tank barebottom if not maybe consider it as itís easy for visually challenged fish to find food more easily. Hope this helps
Old 01-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Black moor goldfish

Goldfish are bottom sifters by nature, so he is finding the food that lands on the substrate. Flakes and pellets are okay, but they contain fillers that can cause buoyancy issues. If you have the resources, your fish would highly benefit from a good gel food such as Repashy. It is available from Amazon and a small bottle would last you a pretty long time. It's easy to prepare, and offers your fish a much healthier and more natural diet. Good call getting him a larger tank! I have one in a tank with other types of fancies and I have noticed he has more difficult time finding food, but he gets his share eventually.
He would be happy with a buddy, but as mentioned, you need to make sure this tank cycles, and they would certainly outgrow that tank in time. You could add another if you kept up water changes as they grow and planned for a larger tank in the future.
Enjoy!

Hereís my guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	305933  

Tags
black, black moor, fish, gold, goldfish, moor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com