black moor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah ha! You did not mention this, just the fish food though to only have 5ppm of nitrates from 4ppm of ammonia is questionable. Is this after doing a big water change or before?

JLK - i misspoke. I did the 24 hour test, ended with zero ammonnia and nitrites, and plenty of nitrates. At which point, I did a significant water change (90%) and tested the water again ended with 5ppm nitrates...at which point I added my baby black moor.

JLK - i misspoke. I did the 24 hour test, ended with zero ammonnia and nitrites, and plenty of nitrates. At which point, I did a significant water change (90%) and tested the water again ended with 5ppm nitrates...at which point I added my baby black moor.

Thanks! I was getting a bit concerned, thats all! :) Just keep a close eye on your parameters over the next few weeks and make sure you remove the rotting fish food. Newly cycled tanks can be a bit tempermental and you may see some spikes that can be handled with extra water changes. Hopefully, you wont though because a single baby moor will not a huge impact in a 55g (as a baby anyway). Good job getting a big tank!

not a problem..and thanks for the advice. I've been testing daily the last two weeks, so its all become a blur.

this is my first attempt at keeping a fish tank, so I'm really excited. I'll keep testing the water daily. What is the ideal temperature for gold fish, and what is the ideal PH level? my temp is at 70.2 degrees, and PH is 7.4 or 7.6 (can't remember)

Temperature depnds on if you have a heater or if your just running the tank at the room temp in your home. Fancies can tolerate 68-75f comfortably but if you see large fluctuations between day and night, it may be worthwhile to keep a heater for stability. Your ph is NOT an issue and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Goldies actually do better in higher ph, harder water so no worries! If you check out the second link I posted for you, its the Goldfish 101 guide and it covers all the basics from water changes to diet and alot of other info as well as a lot of great links with even more information. :)

Temperature depnds on if you have a heater or if your just running the tank at the room temp in your home. Fancies can tolerate 68-75f comfortably but if you see large fluctuations between day and night, it may be worthwhile to keep a heater for stability. Your ph is NOT an issue and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Goldies actually do better in higher ph, harder water so no worries! If you check out the second link I posted for you, its the Goldfish 101 guide and it covers all the basics from water changes to diet and alot of other info as well as a lot of great links with even more information. :)

thanks, yes just reading through that article right now actually. thanks for all your help. just checked up on the little guy.. .he isn't stuck on the gravel anymore, but is still swimming in the bottom third of the tank. Also, everytime I walk up to him, he swims right up to me. I'd like to think that he has bonded with me...but i'm guessing thats not the case :)

after reading through some more gold fish care...I noticed small white dots on my black moor. I can't tell if this came along with the pet store or were developed while inside my tank (he has only been in my tank for 6-8 hours). Do you suspect this is Ick (Ich)? If so, I've read the salting method may be the way to go. Without raising the temperature, how long could the cure take? I have the temp around 70 degrees. I can't believe the little guy is sick already.

after reading through some more gold fish care...I noticed small white dots on my black moor. I can't tell if this came along with the pet store or were developed while inside my tank (he has only been in my tank for 6-8 hours). Do you suspect this is Ick (Ich)? If so, I've read the salting method may be the way to go. Without raising the temperature, how long could the cure take? I have the temp around 70 degrees. I can't believe the little guy is sick already.

Definitely seems like a case of ich. If it rubs itself against ornaments to scratch itself, it is definitely ich. I had slowly increased my temperature to 86 with my goldfish once and used the salt method. (Slowly = 1-2 degree every hour) did water change twice a day and it was fine in 1 week. I then slowly lowered the temperature on the second week to be sure the ich is gone.

I am not sure how sensitive black moors are but if possible, do that. The heat just expedited the cycle of the ich and it'll die off.

Can you post a pic? Ich looks distinctively like grains of salt or sand sprinkled on a fish. It's usually most apparent on fins/tail but can be anywhere on a fish. Moors do get occasional white areas/discolorations not to be confused with ich. Ich is very distinct spots.

Salt is a safe, easy and effective means for treatment and typically takes a week and half to two weeks to be fully resolved. No heat necessary and is not recommended for a cold water fish. It's outlined in the guide but please ask questions if you are unsure about anything! :)

Definitely seems like a case of ich. If it rubs itself against ornaments to scratch itself, it is definitely ich. I had slowly increased my temperature to 86 with my goldfish once and used the salt method. (Slowly = 1-2 degree every hour) did water change twice a day and it was fine in 1 week. I then slowly lowered the temperature on the second week to be sure the ich is gone.

I am not sure how sensitive black moors are but if possible, do that. The heat just expedited the cycle of the ich and it'll die off.

Thanks Cornstar...I can't tell 100%. the dots appear and this disappear every 10 mins or so...my water is pretty aerated right now and there are lots of bubbles floating around (I did a water change today as well right before I added the fish), so it may just be very small water bubbles on him? He has been rubbing himself against the fishtank wall more recently. I'll check in the morning. Either way, I think it may be best to add the salt and raise the temp to see if things get better. pretty disappointed since it's a brand new tank, with a baby fish being the only one in the tank.

I disagree on raising the temp. If the spots are appearing and disappearing, then it's definitely not ich. There is no reason to treat for something you do not have.

Can you post a pic? Ich looks distinctively like grains of salt or sand sprinkled on a fish. It's usually most apparent on fins/tail but can be anywhere on a fish. Moors do get occasional white areas/discolorations not to be confused with ich. Ich is very distinct spots.

Salt is a safe, easy and effective means for treatment and typically takes a week and half to two weeks to be fully resolved. No heat necessary and is not recommended for a cold water fish. It's outlined in the guide but please ask questions if you are unsure about anything! :)

let me post a pic...or a video...

I disagree on raising the temp. If the spots are appearing and disappearing, then it's definitely not ich. There is no reason to treat for something you do not have.

any thoughts?

Agreed if it was ich he would be constantly covered in white spots...Especially visible against the dark coloration.

pic attached...he is moving around alot, so hard to get a clear shot

Thanks for the pic! Ok, I can see quite a few things in this pic. I do see white spots, especially on his tail- are these the spots that appear & disappear as you mentioned? Can you wipe them off if you run your finger over them? I notice lots of little white dots/bubbles in the pic as well. I also notice the outside of his eyes are greyish and that it 'appears' that his side is fuzzy/rough or his scales are partially lifted/sticking out- is this the case or is it just blurred from him moving during picture taking?

Thanks for the pic! Ok, I can see quite a few things in this pic. I do see white spots, especially on his tail- are these the spots that appear & disappear as you mentioned? Can you wipe them off if you run your finger over them? I notice lots of little white dots/bubbles in the pic as well. I also notice the outside of his eyes are greyish and that it 'appears' that his side is fuzzy/rough or his scales are partially lifted/sticking out- is this the case or is it just blurred from him moving during picture taking?

I'll answer this one step at a time...I'm actually at work right now, so I will go off memory (and will confirm later tonight when I get home)

1. "I do see white spots, especially on his tail- are these the spots that appear & disappear as you mentioned?" Yes - the spots appeare throughout the body and then disappear
2. "Can you wipe them off if you run your finger over them?" - I will have to check tonight
3. "I notice lots of little white dots/bubbles in the pic as well" - I did a water change right before putting the little guy in, so there are lots of bubbles on the tank walls and ornaments. I also have a bubble wand and airstone running, causing some extra bubbles in the water..besides just the ones on the surface.
4 - "I also notice the outside of his eyes are greyish." - I think that is just the lighting, but I will confirm. Could this be a sign of some disease if not lighting?
5- "'appears' that his side is fuzzy/rough or his scales are partially lifted/sticking out" - not sure what I should be looking for here....i'm a newbie. Can you further describe please? it's a blurry pic, btw....

Just take a good look at him when you get home. Alot of the things I mentioned may be the result of lighting, movement, bubbles, etc and may be nothing to be concerned about. Only you can see him in person. :)

p.s. I have a video as well, which is very clear...but not sure I can share with you.

Just take a good look at him when you get home. Alot of the things I mentioned may be the result of lighting, movement, bubbles, etc and may be nothing to be concerned about. Only you can see him in person. :)

thanks...if it IS ich, how would he be acting? he seems to be swimming around the tank fine, scavenging on the bottom, sucking and spitting out gravel, and generally being active....

thanks...if it IS ich, how would he be acting? he seems to be swimming around the tank fine, scavenging on the bottom, sucking and spitting out gravel, and generally being active....

'Typically' you will see a fish scratching and rubbing (called flashing) on the substrate, decor, sides of the tank, etc BUT I also have never seen any of my new goldfish do this when they had ich. They acted perfectly normal- swimming, eating, exploring but the telltale spots were very obvious.

In respect to posting a video, I believe you would need to post it first on another site such as UTube or Photobucket first then post the link here.

Back
Top Bottom