black or white sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rinzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting a 135 gallon tank that I intend to set up as a room divider so it will be viewable from 3 sides. I've been debating if I should do black sand or white sand. It sounds like black will require brighter lighting but will bring out colors in the tank better...but if I do white, I have the option of buying pool filter sand for way cheaper - but do you think it would be too bright in the tank and wash everything out? I'd like to see some pics of both if you guys have any..or if you just have any comments or suggestions. thanks :flowers:

I wouldn't go with pool filter sand. I'm no expert by ANY means but from what I've heard/read pool filter sand is a very bad idea. I don't exactly remember why but there's some downsides to it. Just givin you a heads up to research it first.

I wouldn't go with pool filter sand. I'm no expert by ANY means but from what I've heard/read pool filter sand is a very bad idea. I don't exactly remember why but there's some downsides to it. Just givin you a heads up to research it first.
PFS is awesome,i have it in my 10 and my 55. it looks great and is easier to clean than gravel.

if you put a black backkground on your tank(what im planning to do)i dont think PFS will cause them to wash out

Man, I have both, black makes it seem a bit smaller, but really pulls the colors of your fish out..on the other hand, white makes a tank appear bigger, but the fish seem drowned out in all the white...there both good looking overall though..and white is easier to see when its dirty I guess lol

alLexX said:
PFS is awesome,i have it in my 10 and my 55. it looks great and is easier to clean than gravel.

if you put a black backkground on your tank(what im planning to do)i dont think PFS will cause them to wash out

I can't do a background as it will be viewable from both sides

It will depend on the type of fish you want and how you want your tank to look. I'm looking for red sand because its easier for my brown/red congo puffer to dig into it and wait for unsuspecting preys.

I think black sand looks nice for colorful fishes that stay close to the bottom of the tank because it brings out their colors. If I don't anything that fits that description, then I would go for white sand.

volcomkrew4life said:
My mistake. If it's a SILICA BASED PFS it can be bad.

I read somewhere that it isn't bad - silica is quartz which is what glass is made from - if this were the case, wouldn't keeping fish in glass tanks be bad?

All my tanks have PFS
img_1471950_0_7071e0335b9e7993562bf34410363f1f.jpg

img_1471950_1_2facf72de5708aa60902d419e6444366.jpg

img_1471950_2_8664c1bbcf849bafd2839fc997d1c9d6.jpg

I am deciding between PFS and gravel.
Pro's and Con's Plz.

I heard sand raises the ph. When cleaning u take out so much sand so have to add more every few months. Air pockets are deadly for fish....

Heera said:
Pro's and Con's Plz.

I heard sand raises the ph. When cleaning u take out so much sand so have to add more every few months. Air pockets are deadly for fish....

Sand has never affected any of my ph and when cleaning u huvr over the sand ...i haven't lost or added sand in a year its actually easier to clean....and the air pocket thing I've heard of never seen it but if that's a worry u just get trumpiter snails and they mix the sand so that u have none.....ime sand is easier than gravel

Heera said:
Pro's and Con's Plz.

U also say u are deciding between gravel and pfs...pfs is sand

I personally have a mix of black/white sand and love it!

The only sand that will affect PH is Cichlid sand by Cribsea and marine sands, everything else won't affect your water chemistry.

If sand is having to be replaced you are vacuuming to close to the sand when cleaning and sucking it out. Hover about an inch or so above it to suck up waste.

Anaerobic gas pockets in sand are pretty rare I believe Mr. Limpet did some research on the subject and was unable to find any documented cases. If you are super worried about it then get some Malaysian trumpet snails.

LFS sand is more easy to pick up than PFS. I have both black in my 20 and it does bring out the colors and you will not have to do a lot of vacuuming. The difference is in the grain PFS is much bigger

I put in black sand and it looks stunning. I am focusing on colorful fish so bringing out their colors is a priority.

What's this about air pockets? I have air bubbles coming up from under the sand (which is on top of black with some blue gravel). Should I be worried?

jen31972 said:
I put in black sand and it looks stunning. I am focusing on colorful fish so bringing out their colors is a priority.

What's this about air pockets? I have air bubbles coming up from under the sand (which is on top of black with some blue gravel). Should I be worried?

Personally I wouldn't of put sand on top of gravel, I would recommend removing the sand take out the gravel and put the sand back in. JMO

Back
Top Bottom