Black sand + bottomfeeders.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I need about 50 pounds of a good black inexpensive sand for these bottom feeders:

Pangio Kuhlii (kuhli loaches)
Botia Kubotai (sometimes referred to as "Angelicus loaches")
and maybe some small (2") cories if they need to be rehomed.

Links and names help. Thanks.

Hey everyone, I need about 50 pounds of a good black inexpensive sand for these bottom feeders: Pangio Kuhlii (kuhli loaches) Botia Kubotai (sometimes referred to as "Angelicus loaches") and maybe some small (2") cories if they need to be rehomed. Links and names help. Thanks.
A lot of the black sands are coal slag, a byproduct of burning coal for energy, and mining. It is not very good for fish. Just a heads up.

A lot of the black sands are coal slag, a byproduct of burning coal for energy, and mining. It is not very good for fish. Just a heads up.

Thanks, I was going to mention how I would not be interested in "sands" like Tahitian Moon Sand.

Thanks, I was going to mention how I would not be interested in "sands" like Tahitian Moon Sand.
No problem!
Maybe you should try something along the lines of a really fine gravel, like color quartz? I've never owned black sand because I hear bad things about it. So I'm not up to par on black sands.

No problem!
Maybe you should try something along the lines of a really fine gravel, like color quartz? I've never owned black sand because I hear bad things about it. So I'm not up to par on black sands.

I'm pretty set on sand, but I'll take a look at the color quartz. Thanks again :fish1:

I have Tahitian moon sand in my 75 gallon and I love it! It's a little more pricey I know but I looked everywhere and all I could find was black silica sand. Which i have heard has sharp edges.

What?

You guys are scaring me about this black sand topic! I just recently bought some black sand at Petco (20 pounds I think) for my newly set up 10 gallon community tank. I figured the black sand would look good especially for the ghost shrimp I have. I thought it would be really easy to see them. However, you can't see them really good with the sand and I'm starting to hate it.

How is it bad for fish? I was wondering if the loose particles from that sand would hurt a fish if they ate it because my community fish kind of pick at the loose stuff.

You guys are scaring me about this black sand topic! I just recently bought some black sand at Petco (20 pounds I think) for my newly set up 10 gallon community tank. I figured the black sand would look good especially for the ghost shrimp I have. I thought it would be really easy to see them. However, you can't see them really good with the sand and I'm starting to hate it.

How is it bad for fish? I was wondering if the loose particles from that sand would hurt a fish if they ate it because my community fish kind of pick at the loose stuff.

i think he was refering to black diamond blasting sand that people use as a substrate which is cheap and looks very good , but not for diggers like cories cause it has sharp edges ( hence blasting sand )

to the OP...colorquartz is good option

http://bedrocksupplies.com/estes-colored-quartz-sand-50lb/

Last edited:
I have the black diamond blasting sand and its great! But not for those fish. I would avoid it like the plague for any fish that is a digger.

I have the black diamond blasting sand and its great! But not for those fish. I would avoid it like the plague for any fish that is a digger.

I agree I was shocked when my mag alge cleaner picked the expensive talian moon sand up and scrached the glass. I thought that because I bought the aquarium sand that it would be sand and not metal

The metal contained in the Tahitian moon sand is perfectly safe for fish. The only reason I would avoid the black diamond blasting sand with diggers is that its quite sharp and can cause some problems.

The metal contained in the Tahitian moon sand is perfectly safe for fish. The only reason I would avoid the black diamond blasting sand with diggers is that its quite sharp and can cause some problems.
Also, wouldn't those metals stick to the impeller?

Any particular reason why you don't want the Tahitian Moon sand? I use the Caribsea Tahitian Moon sand in my GloTank and it's very soft. I have ADFs in the tank and they've never shown any signs of damage from it.

Also, wouldn't those metals stick to the impeller?

I imagine it would but it would be miraculous to have it happen. The black diamond sand is soo heavy it would be very difficult for it to make its way into the filter.

Any particular reason why you don't want the Tahitian Moon sand? I use the Caribsea Tahitian Moon sand in my GloTank and it's very soft. I have ADFs in the tank and they've never shown any signs of damage from it.

The Tahitian moon sand should be fine for diggers.

I just recently bought 40# of the black sand from petco. I love the way it looks. Never had sand before until now. I always used gravel. Sand is better for positioning rocks/plants etc.. as well

Back
Top Bottom